Talk

Advanced search

Mincemeat recipe help - allergies

(6 Posts)
MonsieurChaCha Sun 10-Nov-19 18:48:40

My DS loves mince pies but has become allergic to both apples and pears, raw and cooked. He is also allergic to nuts.

Can anyone help with suggestions on what to swap with the apples? I've got as far as figs and now I've run out of ideas

OP’s posts: |
mumwon Sun 10-Nov-19 20:30:36

dried apricots sultanas raisins (check the source & whether they are manufactured in same factory as nut production - much depends on how strong a reaction we are talking about ie anaphylactic shock or itchy eczema & how sensitive dc is) use orange juice instead of apple add whatever sweet spice little one is not allergic too ie (ground from fresh) cinnamon or nutmeg etc is your dc allergic to sunflower seeds? I use to use them in homemade fruit bars instead of nuts. you need to check with dietician.

MonsieurChaCha Mon 11-Nov-19 20:01:58

Thanks mumwon. I'll give dried apricots a go

CherryValance Mon 11-Nov-19 20:08:48

Ready to eat dried prunes would work too. But to be honest you could just leave out the apples and the result would be much the same. Just add a handful more raisins/currants/peel etc. Extra glacé cherries would go down well in my house! Nuts aren’t essential either so I often leave them out if we have allergic guests coming.

randomsabreuse Mon 11-Nov-19 20:10:09

Nigella's cranberry mincemeat recipe attached. Have subbed in blueberries when I missed the boat on real cranberries and that was yummy.

Obviously omit Almond Extract, suspect I didn't use it on at least 1 occasion and didn't miss it...

MonsieurChaCha Tue 12-Nov-19 13:30:16

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »