Talk

Advanced search

Pumpkin and sunflower seeds

(9 Posts)
Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Wed 06-Nov-19 13:18:37

I bought some packets of pumpkin and sunflower seeds a while back. What can I do with them to use them up? We like nuts and all sorts of grains. Sprinkle them over roasting vegetables? Are they best toasted/roasted or can I just add them to grains?

Thanks for all tips!

OP’s posts: |
4merlyknownasSHD Wed 06-Nov-19 13:41:21

I bake bread and include a good handful, of each, in each loaf I bake.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Wed 06-Nov-19 14:40:37

Good idea. I have some yeast and bread flour too. The trouble with baking bread is we eat it, in large quantities.

OP’s posts: |
Stumpedasatree Wed 06-Nov-19 19:48:00

I put them in flapjacks, energy bars and energy balls. Also homemade granola and oat and fruit cookies.

everythingstaken123 Wed 06-Nov-19 20:17:48

Sunflower seeds make great pesto.

I use roasted pumpkin seeds in stir fries, on risottos, anywhere I might use pine nuts. Same with roasted sunflower seeds.

OneHanded Thu 07-Nov-19 03:46:06

Lovely to add a crunchy garnish to soup. I sprinkle over veg at dinner, over anything on toast, porridge, etc. Actually anything!

Lowbrow Thu 07-Nov-19 05:06:53

I use them every morning. I make Bircher Muesli and sprinkle them on the top mixed with a couple of almonds, walnuts, gogi berries and a banana. Alternatively I make a smoothie in my blender with frozen fruit, a small frozen banana, almonds, oats, water with pumpkin and sunflower seeds.

Stumpedasatree Thu 07-Nov-19 08:33:04

Also if you have a good food processor or nutribullet roast them and blitz with some roasted nuts and you have a great nut and seed butter, much cheaper than buying it ready made.

MrsRedFly Thu 07-Nov-19 10:06:39

www.nigella.com/recipes/breakfast-bars - i put pumpkin & sunflower seeds in these

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »