Talk

Advanced search

Chocolate ganache icing - help!

(18 Posts)
Nutellanjam Fri 01-Nov-19 14:57:29

I’m making DDs cake and trying to make ganache icing for the first time. I’ve warmed cream and added to chocolate pieces and left for hour to cool. It’s still a lovely bowl of chocolate- just tried to whisk it to become fluffy and nothing’s happened, it’s just stayed liquid!! I used same quantity of cream to chocolate- why isn’t it whisking into icing kind of consistency? Does anyone have any ideas?! It’s too runny at moment to eg stick cake pieces together, which I need it to do! All suggestions v appreciated!!

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Fri 01-Nov-19 14:59:22

What sort of cream was it?

Nutellanjam Fri 01-Nov-19 15:03:22

Could that be the problem ?? I’m not in the UK but was closest equivalent of double cream - full fat milk cream? Not sure if there’s a thicker ?

Littlefish Fri 01-Nov-19 15:06:28

I've never tried to whip chocolate ganache. I let it cool and then use it like chocolate spread, to sandwich cakes together, or pour over the top and sides of a cake.

If I want to be able to pipe with it, I use butter cream, made with butter and a bit of melted chocolate.

PlatinumBrunette Fri 01-Nov-19 15:06:31

Chuck icing sugar into it to make it thicker. It won’t be ganache, but it will be edible.

Artesia Fri 01-Nov-19 15:11:11

Suspect your cream may have been too thin, but also ganache is supposed to be a fairly runny glaze/sauce rather than a thicker butter cream consistency

LaurieSchafferIsAllBitterNow Fri 01-Nov-19 15:13:47

full fat milk is not an equivalent to double cream! It's about 4 % fat if that

I'd say the best thing to do now is to start over and look for a fuge frosting recipe which is not based on double cream ...most frostings are butter/cocoa/icing sugar/splash of milks

Just warm up what you have, chuck some baileys in it and drink it to console yourself with a boozy hot chocolate

Nutellanjam Fri 01-Nov-19 15:33:26

Ah thanks very much all yes I think cream might have been the problem - and the recipe made it look so easy and versatile !! And at least I now have a big bowl of creamy chocolate as a consolation prize !!!

dementedpixie Fri 01-Nov-19 16:35:00

Do you get 'heavy' cream there? That would be roughly the equivalent of double cream.

GreenLeafTurnip Fri 01-Nov-19 16:45:48

Where I am we also don't have 'double' cream. It's 30 or 33% fat if that helps in future.

Myshitisreal Fri 01-Nov-19 19:02:07

Hi my ganache has always worked well using this method in this cake https://www.womansown.co.uk/food/mary-berrys-very-best-chocolate-fudge-cake-9269/ the chocolate really needs to be warmed through. Never failed for me. That recipe is also lush 🤤 . I wouldn't give up or bin anything. Stick some water in a pot, and throw it in a bowl over it

Falafel19 Fri 01-Nov-19 19:05:39

I'd have done two thirds chocolate to cream, so it's too runny to set any further I would say.

Myshitisreal Fri 01-Nov-19 20:20:16

https://www.womansown.co.uk/food/mary-berrys-very-best-chocolate-fudge-cake-9269/ not sure if that link worked

Myshitisreal Fri 01-Nov-19 20:20:43

Did that link work https://www.womansown.co.uk/food/mary-berrys-very-best-chocolate-fudge-cake-9269/

Wincarnis Fri 01-Nov-19 21:41:18

100ml of cream to 200g chocolate.

Sounds like you need more chocolate

ColdRainAgain Fri 01-Nov-19 21:50:38

Beating in icing sugar or melting a lot more chocolate and putting it in the fridge might help.

Dark chocolate or milk chocolate?
What % fat is in the cream?

GlamGiraffe Fri 01-Nov-19 21:53:13

More chocolate then put it in the fridge for a bit. It sounds too liquid.

MrsElijahMikaelson1 Fri 01-Nov-19 21:54:04

I’ve fucked up ganache today as well and have just added a shedload off icing sugar to thicken it-still not great but will have to do!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »