Talk

Advanced search

Low fat veggie sandwich fillings, ideas needed?

(8 Posts)
lilibet Fri 17-Aug-07 11:06:29

I'm struggling for low fat fillings that don't include meat

My favourite at the moment is a sainsbury's 1%fat cream cheese with roasted peppers (out of a jar) and salad

any other good ideas?

MyTwopenceworth Fri 17-Aug-07 11:07:37

www.vegsoc.org/nvw/2002/recipes4.html

Tamz77 Fri 17-Aug-07 15:47:31

Humous and salad is good.

Also used to like cottage cheese and salsa (the ready made stuff in tubs at the supermarket).

jumpyjan Fri 17-Aug-07 16:03:56

used to have a yummy sandwhich in a nice cafe - grilled hallumi cheese with roasted veg (tomatoes, augergine and onion) - yum!

LoveAngel Sun 19-Aug-07 20:03:51

I like reduced fat houmous w/ salad or roasted veg (peppers, courgette, red onion, shallots, aubergine).

I also like mashing up an avocado with lots of black pepper and lemon juice and using it as a spread - a sort of guacamole I suppose - w/ crunchy salad leaves. Its quite filling, too.

janestillhere Sun 19-Aug-07 20:07:03

LETTUCE

hurricane Mon 20-Aug-07 13:32:13

You can get veggie pates in health food shops and some supermarkets. I had sundried tomato and basil on my rice cakes for lunch. I'm sure you could make your own by whizzing up some chickpeas, tomato puree, herbs etc. Sometimes I have quorn pieces or halved quorn sausages or a bit of veggie bacon with lettuce and tomato too.

shrooms Mon 03-Sep-07 17:06:48

I love to use any bean (generally chickpeas, black eyed beans, pinto beans or split pea) whizzed up or mashed roughly with garlic, lemon juice, salt and a tbs or two of tahini. Very healthy and filling. You could have it with grated carrot, roasted veggies or cucumber. Beetroot also good.
Soya cheeses such as redwoods are nice for a change for us vegans who sometimes want a cheezy flavour, and there are ones that melt so you could have a toastie!
Any vegetable combined with garlic tends to go down well, and I have had mashed swede and steamed green sandwiches before (needs salt and pepper!)
And how about TOFU? There are loads of varieties such as smoked, basil, and marinated. You can also crumble up and season with plenty of herbs and spices for a good proteiny sanwich. Enjoy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now