Talk

Advanced search

Are we all going to get ill? Fish.

(10 Posts)
clolo Wed 23-Oct-19 18:27:47

So I needed a quick tea and had some Young's fish fillets in the freezer (the ones in sauce that you microwave in the bag).

Cooking time said 4 minutes for 1 - I cooked 3 all at once for 6 and a half minutes - I knew I'd need to increase the time a little bit for more than 1 but didn't think it would need to be by triple.

Have since googled as didn't seem boiling hot when I ate it (had been put on a cold plate and probably 1-2 minutes before I started eating it) and now I think I've not done it long enough!

What do you think, will it be okay, would you have done it for longer?

OP’s posts: |
ShirleyPhallus Wed 23-Oct-19 18:29:49

The honest answer is that no one will know

You’re probably fine though, don’t worry about it

TellySavalashairbrush Wed 23-Oct-19 18:30:38

Sure you’ll all be fine. It probably wasn’t all that pleasant when you were eating them though?

ShirleyPhallus Wed 23-Oct-19 18:32:04

But on your last question, yes I’d have done longer. Microwaves don’t work the same as ovens - you don’t need to increase the time on an oven for more items (but you would for one larger item) as the whole thing is heated to one temp

With a microwave, it heats each bit of food so you need to treat it like you’re doing each one separately and combine the time for all

DartmoorChef Wed 23-Oct-19 18:32:07

Raw fish is perfectly safe to eat. You will be fine.

StarlingsInSummer Wed 23-Oct-19 18:35:08

Raw fish is perfectly safe to eat. You will be fine

And isn’t the advice for pregnant women who want to eat sushi to make sure it’s been frozen first to kill any nasties? So they should be fine.

clolo Wed 23-Oct-19 18:44:13

@TellySavalashairbrush well they're not the most pleasant things to start with but I probably didn't help! They weren't actually cold though, just didn't seem piping hot.

dementedpixie Wed 23-Oct-19 18:46:59

I would have at least doubled the single item time. I would have checked they were each hot in the middle before eating too

clolo Wed 23-Oct-19 18:47:20

@StarlingsInSummer oh I hope so! I did try to make myself feel better by thinking if it's been frozen it hasn't had chance to grow bacteria, not sure if it works like that though confused

clolo Wed 23-Oct-19 18:48:23

@dementedpixie I'm normally so over cautious I don't know what came over me confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »