Talk

Advanced search

Veggie ordering Turkey- Help

(21 Posts)
MrsLindor Sun 20-Oct-19 19:24:24

I'm hosting Christmas Day and Boxing Day this year including two meat eaters, I'm considering a small hamper from a local butcher, it includes a 2lb Turkey Butterfly Joint, so all meat no bones, will this be enough for two adults for lunch and some leftovers for sandwiches Boxing Day? I could swap it for a larger one but I don't want waste.

Also, should I ask for it to be stuffed, there's a choice of plain or with sage and onion stuffing.

The hamper also includes

6 pigs in blankets
1lb bacon
1lb sausages
2lb topside
2lb gammon
Large pork pie

I'm hoping we'll sorted for meat and potentially some can go in the freezer for new year, it's from their farm and suitable for freezing.

elephantoverthehill Sun 20-Oct-19 19:28:22

Meateaters can eat veggie. Your house, your rules. If you really want to give them meat that sounds lovely but a large amount for 2 people for 2 days. If you go ahead I would get it stuffed.

handbagsatdawn33 Sun 20-Oct-19 19:32:30

I'm an omnivore, & to me that list contains a lot of meat products for just 2 carnivores.

I think some of it will freeze - but how often will you be cooking for the omnivores in the foreseeable future?

Ash39 Sun 20-Oct-19 19:34:14

I'd just get a bing in the oven ready prepared boneless joint from M&S. so simple. No waste. And a few pigs in blankets from there as well. I wouldn't stress or waste food

MrsLindor Sun 20-Oct-19 19:34:14

One of the meat eaters lives with me so I'm used to cooking and serving meat, but I'm not used to buying it by weight from a butchers.

I was hoping the beef or gammon joint could go in the freezer for another time.

PurpleDaisies Sun 20-Oct-19 19:34:59

I’m confused about why you’d want to freeze meat you wouldn’t eat.

Do they know you’re veggie? Why don’t you just cook a dinner without meat?

PurpleDaisies Sun 20-Oct-19 19:35:42

Cross post. Get the meat eater that lives with you to sort the meat out.

MrsLindor Sun 20-Oct-19 19:37:31

My new DP eats meat, maybe I should have said that in the OP so any meat that gets frozen will be eaten.

I looked at M&S but even the turkey crowns were really big and expensive, this hamper is £39.99 and locally produced.

MrsLindor Sun 20-Oct-19 19:39:14

Have I accidentally posted in AIBU 😉 I just wanted some advice on quantities.

MustardScreams Sun 20-Oct-19 19:41:02

Yes that should be plenty for 2, especially if you have it stuffed and with the pigs in blankets and all the trimmings.

MrsLindor Sun 20-Oct-19 19:42:55

I'll get it ordered then, thanks.

Topbird29 Sun 20-Oct-19 19:44:49

I think the quantities sound fine for 2 people if you can freeze what is not used at xmas. Best check how big the large pork pie is, and what the use by date will be on it. It is really thoughtful of you to be thinking of it (as a non meat eater).

MrsLindor Sun 20-Oct-19 19:51:48

topbird39 Good point about the pork pie, I'll ask when I order.

It's my first Christmas with DP and his DD is coming Christmas Day so I want to make it as comfortable as possible for them. DP has lots of veggie meals with me at other times.

MrsLindor Sun 20-Oct-19 20:14:24

topbird29 even.

lljkk Sun 20-Oct-19 20:27:13

Maybe check with his DD how much meat she really likes.
We are family of 6 omnivores including 3 teenagers including a bottomless pit 20yo Army soldier DS, and we wouldn't get thru that much meat in 2 days. maybe just us, I dunno.

Assuming the pigs in blankets aren't tiny, This is all we would need for SIX of us. It allows for 150 grams raw meat/person/day, I suppose cooked that could go down to 120 g/day per person if lots of fat is lost.

2lb Turkey Butterfly Joint, so all meat no bones
6 pigs in blankets
1lb bacon

lljkk Sun 20-Oct-19 20:29:47

Just worked out OP has planned on 1 kg meat/person per day.
That's 1500 kcal/person/day.
Maybe they can eat that much or lots of the fat will drain away, I guess.

TheSandgroper Sun 20-Oct-19 22:54:21

All that meat will freeze well. And it can be broken into smaller, handier lots and used over the next few months.

Check the economics of this to see if it’s worthwhile.

MrsLindor Mon 21-Oct-19 07:22:36

I've checked against supermarket prices and it's a good deal price wise, and locally reared which I prefer to buy when I buy meat.

This is their small hamper the next size up says it's for 4-5 people so I think they're assuming some will be frozen for the days between Christmas and new year.

It was really the turkey I was concerned about, don't want to look mean but I also don't want waste. Sounds like it'll be OK

Bowerbird5 Mon 21-Oct-19 20:47:01

It is very good of you to cook it. If you are worried why not cook the gammon too. We have a turkey crown and a gammon. The two go well together. If you haven’t enough room cook the gammon on Christmas Eve and reheat a couple of slices to serve with the turkey. Cold turkey and gammon for Boxing Day.

TheSandgroper Mon 21-Oct-19 23:01:56

Well, that’s a kilo of turkey for two people. I allow 400g of meat for three people with one or two lunches after.

Does that help? And a Christmas dinner has so much else on the table, I would even freeze half for another day.

lljkk Tue 22-Oct-19 11:33:42

I used to work in a store (American) where we sold Turkeys for Thanksgiving.
We told people to assume 1/2 lb per person, which allowed for a generous portion at main meal + leftovers (remember that Americans LOVE leftovers).

0.5 lb = 227 grams iirc.

My experience of living with people who put leftovers in freezer is you have to have a very active-use-rotate-stock management plan or the food goes bad, gets forgotten, freezer burn, etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »