Talk

Advanced search

Any food hygiene experts around (re: freezing food and safety)?

(8 Posts)
LaDameAuxLicornes Sat 19-Oct-19 18:43:21

Anyone out there with expertise in food safety? I'm wondering whether I can defrost frozen pastry and frozen spinach, cook with them, then refreeze what I make and defrost for DS's packed lunches. I'm normally fairly cavalier with this sort of thing, but DS is only a baby so don't want to risk it if you're not supposed to. Does anyone have definitive knowledge on this? I've been googling, but I can't seem to find any clear answer. confused

OP’s posts: |
Aposterhasnoname Sat 19-Oct-19 18:51:34

Yes it’s fine. But why does a baby need a packed lunch?

BrightSpells Sat 19-Oct-19 18:57:12

Why would anyone need a packed lunch @Aposterhasnoname?

Cherylshaw Sat 19-Oct-19 18:58:35

chef for 17 years so have fair knowledge, and it is fine to re freeze once cooked. the danger is with re freezing cooked food and meat

Aposterhasnoname Sat 19-Oct-19 19:01:01

“Anyone” would need a packed lunch to eat halfway through the day at work or school. But babies don’t do either.

MustardScreams Sat 19-Oct-19 19:03:05

Babies go to nursery/childminder/family etc etc and need food.

Yes op it’s fine, as long as you don’t refreeze in the same state, ie defrost raw and freeze raw it’s ok.

Lyingonthesofainthedark Sat 19-Oct-19 19:13:18

Definitely-the one circumstance where you can refreeze is if you have cooked from raw and then refrozen (quickly). Including meat. That's what I learned at school, anyway.

LaDameAuxLicornes Sat 19-Oct-19 19:44:22

Brilliant, thanks. I wasn't sure whether any form of refreezing was a no-no.

DS obviously isn't at work or school, no, but isn't at home for lunch every day either. Hence needing to batch cook and freeze easy packed lunches for him.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »