Talk

Advanced search

Messed up the cake

(5 Posts)
WhereShallWeGo Fri 18-Oct-19 22:47:52

I feel like crying. Spent hours making a crepe cake and I forgot to add sugar to the cream! Only found out when licking the left over diplomat cream off the bowl. Sink full of washing up, dishwasher full of dirty stuff, greasy surfaces everywhere and all this for unsweetened cake! Do you think I can just put icing sugar on top when serving?

Diplomat cream had a bit of sugar because I used ready made custard but the ratio of double cream to custard in today’s version is 3:1 so only slightly sweet. sad

OP’s posts: |
Blondie1984 Sat 19-Oct-19 00:40:27

What about serving it with a salted caramel drizzle or a fudge sauce? Either on the side or put it over just before serving? Something super sweet so that it works perfectly with the unsweetened cake?
Maybe some caramelised bananas too?

You haven't ruined it - you are just going off piste

WhereShallWeGo Sat 19-Oct-19 08:14:08

That’s inspired, Blondie! Thanks for making me feel better about it. Last night I was pessimistic and thinking I ruined it but today it feels like I’ve made a new cake with your help.

Now off to google sweet sauce recipes...

WhereShallWeGo Sun 20-Oct-19 19:24:09

I made a butterscotch sauce and a cinnamon maple sauce to go with it. It was yummy though a little “wet”.

Blondie1984 Mon 21-Oct-19 01:28:08

I’m sure your guests loved in!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »