Talk

Advanced search

Bolognaise in slow coojer

(12 Posts)
tkband3 Tue 15-Oct-19 07:35:48

I made a bolognaise in the slow cooker last night...it’s been cooking on low all night so it’s fine now. But it’s for this evening’s dinner. So do I leave it in the slow cooker on warm all day, put the whole thing in a cool place, or put it in the fridge while it’s boiling hot before I go to work. Thought I was being really clever getting it fine last night as I wouldn’t have time this morning, but didn’t think it through!

Shelley54 Tue 15-Oct-19 09:42:19

Put it in the fridge and heat it up in a PB later. Leaving it in the slow cooker switched off all day will breed bacteria and make it unsafe to eat.

NannyR Tue 15-Oct-19 09:45:39

Don't put it in the fridge boiling hot, it will raise the temp in the fridge making it unsafe for all the other food stored in it. I'd leave it in a cool place and make sure it's reheated to boiling before eating.

singswithitsfingers Tue 15-Oct-19 09:51:36

Yes. Leave it in a cool place. I often do this and then leave the pot in the (switched off) oven all day. Then reheat thoroughly.

Sicario Tue 15-Oct-19 09:54:05

You can make bolognaise in a slow cooker? (Shakes head in amazement.)

walkintheparc Tue 15-Oct-19 09:54:55

Agree with others about leaving in a cool place. It will be slowly cooling down so I don't think it'll be dangerous, I often leave cooked food out for hours in these kinds of situations and it's fine.

Also, I love that the English spelling for Bolognese is like a hybrid with mayonnaise.

beckyvardy Tue 15-Oct-19 10:01:53

How did you make it in the slow Cooke did you don't mind me asking? I'd like to try this.

Sicario Tue 15-Oct-19 10:04:30

@beckyvardy - exactly. We need this information!

ginghamstarfish Tue 15-Oct-19 10:09:16

I would not leave it on low all day. For future reference, couldn't you prep the ingredients in the evening then put it on in the morning on low (or with a timer) so it will be ready at dinner time? I do it in the SC, on high it takes only about 4 hours so maybe 6-8 on low?

user1474894224 Tue 15-Oct-19 10:09:56

I agree stick it in a cool place (the garage) and reheat later. Next time just cook it during the day while you are out.

Bolognaise in the flow cooker: mince (not turkey) beef, pork or a mixture, chopped onions, other chopped veg (I use peppers and carrots), tinned tomatoes and tomato puree or Passata instead (or a couple of jars of sauce). Put it in the pot, use your hands to squidge it all together - this stops the mince cooking in lumps. Then cook on high for about 4/5 hours.

Zeldasmagicwand Tue 15-Oct-19 10:15:36

Agree with PP, do not put it in the fridge whilst it's still warm. It will increase temp in fridge and affect other foods.

Set to slow cook during the day or swap for a Pressure cooker and then you can cook it in less than 10mins after prepping ingredients. I cook soups, stews and home made dog food in the pressure cooker and after switching it on, I can leave it to cook, then it flicks to keep warm and I can either eat it immediately or come back to it a couple of hours later when I'm ready to eat.

tisonlymeagain Fri 18-Oct-19 15:42:32

I'd leave it out and just make sure it's properly hot through later. I sometimes get a bit worried about stuff like that but then remember my nan and my mum used to make big vats of Irish stew that sat on top of the hob for days and we're all still here to tell the tale.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »