Talk

Advanced search

Pumpkin soup

(6 Posts)
Sharpandshineyteeth Mon 14-Oct-19 08:26:26

We had roast pumpkin with Sunday dinner yesterday and I was underwhelmed.

Maybe it was the pumpkin but it didn’t have much taste and was watery.

I have the leftovers to make soup today, cut in chunks. Should I roast it first or just add it to the pot? What other lovely ingredients do you usually add?

OP’s posts: |
Reallybadidea Mon 14-Oct-19 08:34:33

I generally use butternut squash instead of pumpkin as most of the varieties sold in supermarkets here aren't the best for eating. If I'm using up old lanterns then I roast first, puree, and then put it in a sieve over a bowl to get rid of some more water.

Sharpandshineyteeth Mon 14-Oct-19 08:50:17

That’s a good idea. Thank you

OP’s posts: |
MangoSalsa Mon 14-Oct-19 19:20:45

I just made soup with a baked pumpkin which was a bit pale, so added some skinned red peppers to make the colour/flavour a bit better.

LeGrandBleu Mon 14-Oct-19 19:24:02

The secret for pumpkin soup is not putting too much water. You just cover the pumpkin but it won't float.
I usually put a whole brown onion, 3 or 4 carrots and then the pumpkin. Add water only to the vegetables line, cook for 45-1h covered, in the last 15 add a branch of fresh rosemary , then remove rosemary and put in the blender until creamy.
I have it like that, but you can put back in the pot and add some cream.

Windygate Mon 14-Oct-19 19:39:01

I soften an onion and/or leek in a knob of butter. Chuck in chopped up pumpkin peeled or unpeeled along with a couple of peeled chopped sweet potatoes. Add a small amount of veg or chicken stock and pepper. Simmer until tender. Add some fresh or dried sage and blend. Stir through a generous blob of creme fraiche and gently heat until nice and hot. Enjoy with a hunk of naice bread.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »