Talk

Advanced search

Overnight sandwhiches for flying

(35 Posts)
VolcanionSteamArtillery Sun 13-Oct-19 10:37:36

Is there sandwiches you can make that will still be ok lunchtime the next day with no refrigeration?
I could pick up a meal deal at the airport but we're already getting breakfast and i was wondering about saving a bit of money

user1573334 Sun 13-Oct-19 10:38:32

Cheese would be ok out of the fridge.

user1573334 Sun 13-Oct-19 10:38:39

Or jam

MrsPnut Sun 13-Oct-19 10:39:12

I would do cheese.

BikeRunSki Sun 13-Oct-19 10:39:43

Bagels and primula.

NaomiFromMilkShake Sun 13-Oct-19 10:40:00

Cheese and jam. nom....

Bobbybobbins Sun 13-Oct-19 10:40:24

Cheese, jam, peanut butter

TheSheepofWallSt Sun 13-Oct-19 10:42:14

Cheese
Roast beef would be fine
Avocado

MyNewBearTotoro Sun 13-Oct-19 10:47:37

Obviously any spreads that don’t need to be kept refrigerated in the first place like Nutella, peanut butter or jam should be fine.

I would also be happy to eat something like falafel and hoummous, cheese or most cured meats (Eg: salami, chorizo) the next day if the sandwich had been well wrapped and kept in a reasonably cool place (ideally use a cool bag).

JorisBonson Sun 13-Oct-19 10:48:58

You put your Nutella in the fridge??

Coffeeandchocolate9 Sun 13-Oct-19 10:49:19

There is a vegetarian pate called Tartex or Granovita which is lovely and I tend to take an unopened tub of that (doesn't need fridge) and a packet of oatcakes anywhere I can't keep things cold. You can buy it at Asda or Holland and Barrett. Or Peanut butter and/or jam or marmite sandwiches.

clucky3 Sun 13-Oct-19 10:55:05

Always peanut butter sandwiches in this house. I actually think they improve with age smile

Coffeeandchocolate9 Sun 13-Oct-19 10:59:50

Yes to the cured meats to but a strongly advised heck no to houmous, it goes fizzy very quickly in my experience!

OP if you think about the things that bacteria needs to grow, it needs moisture, food and warmth. Some but not all bacteria needs air too. So peanut butter is oily not moisture, hence why it lasts well out of the fridge. Preserved salami has had a lot of moisture removed and salt added (bacteria can't stay wet enough to survive in salt or sugar). Jam is preserved with sugar. Cheese in wax has air removed. Ham, unwrapped cheese, eggs etc need refrigeration. Butter has less moisture content than margerine so is better for sandwiches which have to be 'preserved' when you can't refrigerate.

TheFlis12345 Sun 13-Oct-19 11:01:08

You can freeze sandwiches! Do that and they will defrost gradually and be ready to eat when you need them.

chesterdraws1 Sun 13-Oct-19 11:05:48

Use frozen bread

readingnc Sun 13-Oct-19 11:06:49

It's £3.99 for a boots meal deal and presumably you'll need a bottle of water for the flight anyway?

Harp1977 Sun 13-Oct-19 11:07:30

I usually make wraps with ham, cheese or chicken or cream cheese and salmon, wrap and freeze separately and put them frozen into a thermal lunch bag. Has been fine for us and we never got sick. But I do pack them as the last job as we leave the house. They are packed tightly into the bag. And I usually keep the lunch bag in the freezer before packing.
Once airside you could always ask the bar/ restaurant for some ice for it yo help keep it cold, pop the ice into a zip lock bag to prevent mess.

TheSecretJeven Sun 13-Oct-19 11:18:28

If you can, I would steer clear of peanut butter in case there's a passenger with nut allergies on the plane, so you can't eat your sandwiches.

VirtualHamster Sun 13-Oct-19 11:24:11

I make all my sandwiches for lunch the next day the evening before and they remain unrefrigerated until they get eaten - i'm not dead yet.

Coffeeandchocolate9 Sun 13-Oct-19 11:27:16

Ah, good point about peanut butter and allergies.

@readingnc you can take an empty bottle for water and fill it after security. Much more eco friendly and free. If OP is travelling with family a £4 meal deal each can end up £16 for 4 of them - you'd save a lot by making your own pack up.

BarkandCheese Sun 13-Oct-19 11:31:04

I always make cheese spread and cucumber for DD when we fly.

Clangus00 Sun 13-Oct-19 11:31:32

I wouldn’t use peanut butter or Nutella incase of allergies on the plane.
Do you really need to take sandwiches though?

BinkyandBunty Sun 13-Oct-19 11:34:53

Wouldn't it be less hassle to take things that are already packaged? Fruit and nut, oat bars, crackers etc.

Marmite sandwiches would last ok though, if you must.

FluffyAlpaca19 Sun 13-Oct-19 11:35:40

I'd make sandwiches as normal and freeze them the night before & take them out before I leave for the airport. The sandwiches will defrost slowly and will be lovely and cool for when you eat them.

TheSheepofWallSt Sun 13-Oct-19 12:05:00

Ooohhhh not hummus! It gets nasty really quickly- and can make you really very unwell

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »