Talk

Advanced search

Tray bake suggestions please (lunch box friendly)

(18 Posts)
PlaymobilPirate Sat 12-Oct-19 17:44:57

Ds (age 7) has just started packed lunches and so far I've made flap jack and brownies (which turned out like chocolate cake)for his treat.

I'm about a 4/10 baker with all the gear (pretty stand mixer, pretty food mixer...) and no idea!

What are your go-to tray bake recipes please?

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sat 12-Oct-19 17:47:29

I make a carrot cake traybake using sunflower seeds instead of nuts. I developed the recipe for school trip packed lunches, as my boys' primary school was a nut-free school. If you're interested, I can let you have it

PlaymobilPirate Sat 12-Oct-19 17:48:11

Yes please! He loves carrot cake!

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sat 12-Oct-19 18:18:48

Have DM'd you the recipe smile

PlaymobilPirate Sat 12-Oct-19 18:19:24

Thanks @LadyMonicaBaddingham

Stravapalava Sat 12-Oct-19 23:27:11

Can't go wrong with Mary Berry's lemon drizzle traybake. So delicous.

My DC like banana bread in their lunch as well, which isn't a traybake obviously, but easy and delicious.

Have you looked at the Protestant Traybakes thread in classics? Although possibly not lunchbox friendly, they all sound very delicious!

Ricekrispie22 Sun 13-Oct-19 06:45:07

Malteser tiffin www.janespatisserie.com/2017/08/21/malteser-tiffin/
Chocolate Rice Krispie slice realfood.tesco.com/recipes/chocolate-rice-crispy-cakes.html
Choc chip Rice Krispie slice www.taste.com.au/recipes/chewy-rice-bubble-bars/1798ee84-9b16-41cb-82f2-c217745ba501
Blondies with raspberries realfood.tesco.com/recipes/white-chocolate-brownies-with-raspberries-and-flaked-almonds.html (almonds are only used on the top, so are easy to omit).
Weetabix bars www.weetabix.co.uk/delicious-ideas/recipes/figgy-lemon-bars

Norfolkenchancemate Mon 14-Oct-19 10:10:57

@LadyMonicaBaddingham I would love that recipe if it's no trouble!

LadyMonicaBaddingham Mon 14-Oct-19 11:06:13

@Norfolkenchancemate Check your inbox wink

BABSYA Mon 14-Oct-19 13:54:50

Could I get the carrot cake recipe I also have nut issues with school

Norfolkenchancemate Mon 14-Oct-19 16:36:58

Thank you @LadyMonicaBaddingham you're a star. X

Eve Mon 14-Oct-19 16:38:40

you want the N Irish protestant traybake thread that was here a few months ago.

Eve Mon 14-Oct-19 16:40:10

Protestant Traybake Thread

Mookins14 Mon 14-Oct-19 16:52:23

Not tray bakes but easy to make and keep well: You can make almond macaroons with sunflower seeds rather than almonds. They do turn out green though so add cocoa powder and make them chocolate flavoured if the colour would be off putting.

Also these spiced apricot cookies: 100g butter, 225g wholewheat flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1.5tsp mixed spice, 75g light muscovado sugar, 100g dried, diced apricots, 1 egg beaten, 1 tbsp milk. Demarara sugar. Blitz butter, flour, baking powder, mixed spice and apricots in a food processor until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add in sugar, egg and milk and blitz. Drop spoonfuls onto a lined baking tray and flatten slightly with a dampened finger. Sprinkle lightly with some demarara sugar and bake at 180°C for 15 to 20 minutes.

These were rock buns gone wrong (or "developed" 😁) so they are soft and cookie like rather than crisp but keep well for a few days.

Also this gingerbread with dates is yummy and a traybake.

unicorncupcake Mon 14-Oct-19 16:57:08

I make soupdragon’s flapjack recipe from on here with the condensed milk-they’re amazing and keep well for a week. (They taste exactly like the marks and Spencer’s ones out of the tubs) I also make a similar recipe for malteser tiffin as listed above and nigella’s lemon drizzle cake 😋

PerkingFaintly Mon 14-Oct-19 16:58:46

Eve got there before me.

My, that thread was waistline expanding eyeopening.grin

kateandme Tue 15-Oct-19 01:56:37

www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/baking-and-desserts/best-ever-traybake-recipes/

LadyMonicaBaddingham Tue 15-Oct-19 07:01:41

@BABSYA Check your inbox

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »