Talk

Advanced search

Can I reuse the wee pottery dishes that crème brulee came in?

(10 Posts)
Justmuddlingalong Sat 12-Oct-19 11:39:31

I've got some of those wee pottery dishes that I got crème brulee in at the supermarket. Are they safe to reuse in the oven? TIA.

OP’s posts: |
P1nkHeartLovesCake Sat 12-Oct-19 11:40:35

If the packaging said you could heat the creme brûlée in the oven before adding the sugar?? Then yes they are oven safe

BloodyCats Sat 12-Oct-19 11:40:41

Not sure about the oven but I always keep them. Are they the GU ones?
Very handy if you ever come to make your own mini cheesecakes!

PinkOboe Sat 12-Oct-19 11:42:51

We use the terra cotta ones for baking Camembert

theconstantinoplegardener Sat 12-Oct-19 11:46:24

I always keep mine - really useful for storing leftovers, mini plant pot covers, hamster food bowls....
The only problem I've had is, if they are not glazed on the bottom, when putting them away slightly damp. Sometimes they get black mildew spots on the unglazed part. I store them upside down now, so there is good air circulation around the unglazed area.

DameFanny Sat 12-Oct-19 11:46:32

I've got too many of the glass ones, but I use them for things like storing buttons by colour and paperclips, because they stack nicely. As well as the odd posset or cheesecake.

The pottery ones should be fine in the oven - you can use for little tapas-y things as well as desserts - but maybe put one in on a baking tray with an egg or something to check first? And obviously let it cool down before getting water near it.

Justmuddlingalong Sat 12-Oct-19 11:46:47

Terracotta! That's what they are made of. I can't remember where I got them, possibly Sainsbury's. Hmm, I don't mind if it breaks, if I try it in the oven, but I'd rather it didn't explode and shatter the oven door.

OP’s posts: |
DameFanny Sat 12-Oct-19 12:03:19

Pop one in a deep roasting dish then, so the walls of that would bear the brunt if it went? It would be more likely to just crack if it were unstable.

dontgobaconmyheart Sun 13-Oct-19 19:14:42

Not sure about the oven but we reuse ours for mini cheesecakes (for guests) and for table dips, sauces, chutney etc or any tapas type of thing.

honeybunlatte Sun 13-Oct-19 19:41:28

Of course you can re use them! You can buy terracotta dishes for cooking with so of course you can re use them. If they're not plastic why wouldn't you?!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »