Talk

Advanced search

Making chutney

(20 Posts)
BlueCowWonders Mon 07-Oct-19 16:44:38

Does anyone have a good resource for chutney? I don't really want a recipe, more a beginner's guide where I can ad lib a bit.
Thank you!

ChaosMoon Wed 09-Oct-19 00:04:03

I made this one today and it's delicious - www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/oct/04/nigel-slater-green-tomato-recipes.

It's nice because it doesn't make huge quantities. So you can have a play around and then scale up when you have a flavour combination you like.

BlueCowWonders Wed 09-Oct-19 10:02:44

Thank you! That's exactly what I've been looking for smile

sashh Wed 09-Oct-19 10:07:12

I make an easy mango chutney that does about a jar.

2 mangoes, one peeled both chopped
a handful of raisins

Get the jar you are going to use, half fill with sugar, then our into a pan,so the same with vinegar.

Andthe fruit to the pan with any spies you like and cook on low until, well until you get chutney - you can draw a wooden spoon across the bottom of the pan and the 'trail' stays dry.

SalemSpellman Wed 09-Oct-19 10:17:49

@sashh this sounds brilliant, which type of vinegar do you use?

magimedi Wed 09-Oct-19 10:29:25

I've been making chutney for years (am v.v. old!) & one tip I would give is always start by warming the sugar & vinegar alone until the sugar dissolves.

Lots of recipes say to add all the other stuff at the same time & it is then much easier for the sugar to catch on the bottom of the pan.

BlueCowWonders Wed 09-Oct-19 13:07:18

Good point Magimedi - jam recipes often tell you to warm the sugars first so I'll do the same with my chutney making.

sashh Wed 09-Oct-19 13:54:06

I use prickling vinegar

magimedi Wed 09-Oct-19 16:02:52

Pickling vinegar already has some spices added to it. I use it for pickled onions but for other pickles I use cider vinegar.

sashh Thu 10-Oct-19 03:35:24

Magi

I add spicestopickledonions do they are double spicef,but top them off with raspberry vinegar - try it.

Gotthetshirt23 Thu 10-Oct-19 04:08:04

Any pickled onion recipes ?
Apologies for hi jacking

magimedi Thu 10-Oct-19 07:55:20

Sashh That sounds lovely. No longer make pickled onions as I'm the only one who likes them & they give me awful indigestion these days!

THIS is very similar to the recipe I use but make sure the vinegar/spice mix is cold before adding it to the onions or they won't be crunchy.

PurpleDaisies Thu 10-Oct-19 07:58:38

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spiced-beetroot-orange-chutney

This is a really nice one, especially for Christmas time.

sashh Thu 10-Oct-19 09:17:17

magimedi

It was an accident the first time, I'd done a batch and ran out of pickling vinegar, it was all I had in the house.

Gotthetshirt23

Try Delia Smith. Then adapt it.

ByeByeMissAmericanPie Thu 10-Oct-19 09:20:13

River Cottage has a ’Glutney’ Recipe which gives lots of alternatives for substitutes.

Good tip about the sugar and vinegar MagiMedi

ByeByeMissAmericanPie Thu 10-Oct-19 09:21:21

Have just made quince paste.
Do not make it if you’re in a hurry! It took me 3 goes yesterday to get it reduced down.

magimedi Thu 10-Oct-19 09:46:21

There are some nice chutneys on THIS thread

BlueCowWonders Fri 11-Oct-19 18:25:21

@ChaosMoon
@magimedi
I've just (just this minute!) made the Nigel Slater tomato chutney
Started by dissolving the sugar
But it took so much longer than the recipe - not the hour it said but probably double that before it got to the gloopy stage.
But last question for now - how long to keep it before it tastes right? (Min? I'm sure the max is pretty open)
Thank you 😊

magimedi Fri 11-Oct-19 22:20:23

I haven't made that particular chutney, but I reckon that 4 weeks is the bare minimum before you start to eat your chutney & 6/8 weeks even better.

If you eat them too early they will taste really 'vinegary' - the vinegar mellows as it keeps.

I have often eaten chutney that is 3 years old & it's been lovely.

RickOShay Fri 11-Oct-19 22:23:28

I just love prickling vinegar grin
Any good apple chutney ideas?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »