Talk

Advanced search

Why aren't my muffins rising?

(12 Posts)
BlingLoving Mon 07-Oct-19 08:46:10

I have a lovely banana bran muffin recipe. The muffins do come out beautifully in that they're soft and fluffy and tasty, but they just don't rise. Not even a tiny bit - they are completely flat on top!

The recipe uses plain flour and baking powder and some bran flakes. If I swapped to self raising flour, would I get a little more lift? They taste good, but honestly, they just don't have that really appealing look?

OP’s posts: |
violetbunny Mon 07-Oct-19 09:03:33

Have you checked the expiry date of your baking powder?

BlingLoving Mon 07-Oct-19 09:10:17

Not specifically, so good call. Although it's not old and its the individual packets that keep fresh so I doubt it's that. Come to think of it though, it is a cheapo one from Lidl. Is baking powder one of those things it's worth buying the "proper brands" of?

FrenchBoule Mon 07-Oct-19 10:31:59

Proportions might be not right?

Hugsgalore Mon 07-Oct-19 10:35:29

It could be that the bran is too heavy and preventing the rise or you've too much liquid added. Too much banana could be the problem.

Try leaving out a little banana or bran and see if it helps.

I used to use self raising flour and baking powder to get a good rise on fruit muffins.

SisterSistine Mon 07-Oct-19 10:35:59

Translation issue? Are you using baking powder when you should be using baking soda (or bicarbonate of soda in UK english?)

Aus84 Mon 07-Oct-19 10:46:43

I have a similar recipe and it lists baking SODA not baking powder.

Aus84 Mon 07-Oct-19 10:48:16

Sorry I just checked properly. It asks for both baking soda and baking powder.

BlingLoving Mon 07-Oct-19 11:04:23

It definitely says baking powder. The book has other recipes where baking powder and/or baking soda are called for so don't think it's a misunderstanding.

I think Hugs might have it - I felt that it was a very wet mixture when I was making it and I did have to cook it for a bit longer. It called for three bananas and I did feel that was a bit vague - some bananas are bigger than others and these were big bananas. So the trick is perhaps to reduce the amount of banana? The bran is only 45g so I'm inclined not to reduce that any further but I can definitely see value in less banana. The recipe also uses honey and I've reduced the amount because I thought it was too sweet. but perhaps the trick is to reduce the banana rather?

Chloe9 Mon 07-Oct-19 11:10:35

Either your baking powder is not working (try a different brand, or increasing it in 1/8 or 1/4 of a tsp implements until it does rise) or its too wet. Bananas come in different sizes, so if it doesn't specify it may be that you need to use small or medium bananas instead of medium or large or whatever. Sometimes recipes are just a bit dodge, though.

BlingLoving Mon 07-Oct-19 11:17:07

@Chloe9 - the reason I love this book is that the recipes are all brilliant. And this one, for all that it doesn't rise, are still really yummy. But I'm absolutely in agreement it's the number of bananas - we always have massive ones and I did feel the mixture was too wet. I'm going to try just 2 bananas next time.

Thanks all.

BlingLoving Fri 22-May-20 12:19:11

So batch with less banana is in oven. After just 7 minutes, they are looking good. @Hugsgalore and @Chloe9 I am optimistic! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »