Talk

Advanced search

Lentil / Split Pea / Chickpea recipes

(15 Posts)
LoveAngel Mon 13-Aug-07 14:31:08

Anyone got any good recipes that use yellow split peas, red lentils, or chickpeas? Must be low fat!

Thanks in advance xx

laundrylover Mon 13-Aug-07 15:06:06

Bumping for you as would like some too....

Dhal is really easy to make and you can add red lentils to spag bol etc. For chickpeas I do roast veg (butternut squash is good) and cous cous with a tin of chickpeas and a tomato sauce with cumin in.

All my cooking is low fat as do Slimming World so I just use a dribble of olive oil or Fry Light.

JackieNo Mon 13-Aug-07 15:24:58

We make this chicken and red lentil curry pretty regularly - very nice, especially with the spinach stirred in at the end (and you could leave out the chicken if you wanted it to be vegetarian). Not sure if it's particularly low fat, but there isn't much in it, iyswim.

Have no idea of amounts as I just just kind of chuck it together;

Green lentil curry with potatoes and vegetables

Place the lentils ( about 2 cups) in plenty of water to cover and cook until tender. Drain the lentils in a collander, reserving 2 cups of the cooking liquid, and set aside.

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add the chopped onion,garlic clove, ginger, mushrooms, and courgette.

Cook until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.

Add 1 tsp each ground cumin, coriander and turmeric, and 1/2 tsp chilli powder, cook for a few minutes, add tin of tomatoes and cook for 4 to 5 minutes more.

Add the lentils and reserved cooking liquid, add diced potatoes, chopped carrots and cook over low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Season to taste. Add the broccoli and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes until broccoli is fork tender. Remove from the heat and serve with basmati rice.

Found this on my computer as well (may have been copied from MN previously).

250g split red lentils
2 medium onions, finely chopped
75g butter
6 cloves garlic, finely sliced
1 medium carrot, grated
2 level tsps whole cumin seds
1.5 rounded tsps mustard seeds
3 level tsps ground turmeric
400ml low fat coconut milk
5 thick slices fresh ginger
400g ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
juice 2 small limes
fresh coriander
s&p

Fry the onions in half the butter, until soft.
Add half the garlic, carrot and whole spices and cook for another 5 minutes.
Stir in the turmeric, cook for a couple more minutes.
Add the lentils, 275ml water, the coconut milk, tomatoes, ginger and s&p.
Bring up to a simmer and cook for about half an hour.
Remove from the heat.
Heat the rest of the butter until frothing and fry the rest until of the garlic until coloured.
Tip into the lentils, and stir in along with the coriander and lime juice.
Cover and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.

LoveAngel Mon 13-Aug-07 19:01:04

Thanks so much! Some nice stuff here. The chicken and red lentil thing sounds lovely @ jackieNo.

Laundry Lover - how do you make dahl? I LOVE it.

Keep them coming! x

scienceteacher Mon 13-Aug-07 19:04:35

Lentil soup?

Lentils, carrots, potatoes, chicken stock - very easy.

laundrylover Tue 14-Aug-07 11:21:52

Well I kind of make it up! Fry some onions and garlic, add either curry powder or individual spices then chuck in a tin of toms and lots of lentils or yellow peas. Simmer for about 20 mins and then add some garam masala at the end and chopped coriander if you have any in and scoff the lot!

tortoiseSHELL Tue 14-Aug-07 11:23:37

pease pudding - soak the peas overnight, then wrap up in a muslin cloth, tie, put in water with ham that is cooking for about 2 hours +. After the ham is cooked, unwrap the cloth, mash up with a fork, add some butter and some of the ham water if necessary.

LelsandZaffy Tue 14-Aug-07 17:12:41

StripeyKnickers- I have just wolfed down that lentil curry that you posted up.. Verdict- bloooooody lovely!!!!!!

And DP, who is a BIG meat eater, had it too and reall enjoyed it!! i chucked some fresh chilli on mine, it was gorgeous!!

Loulee Thu 16-Aug-07 18:43:53

www.bfeedme.com/jamie-oliver-summer-chickpea-salad-recipe/
this jamie oliver summer chickpea salad is great - mmmm.

Glad you liked it. Was that the red lentil or green lentil one

slim22 Fri 17-Aug-07 11:57:15

lentils and smoked fish

boils lentils 20mn max(not too muchy)
cool
dress with dijon mustard vinaigrette and parsley, servr with warm smoked haddock or trout

PippiLangstrump Sat 18-Aug-07 11:46:49

Italian Chickpeas and pasta soup (like Mamma makes). we had it yesterday actually, it takes 15 min and it is loved by all, DD 2 especially.

soften garlic and a rosemary stick in a pan with olive oil (chopped backon if you want it to be moorish). add 3 chichpeas cans and leave it to get the flavours for 5 minutes. add salt and pepper to taste. (I put a few halved cherry tomatoes in it and the hard bit of the parmesan). add vegetable stock: two inches over the chickpeas. leave to simmer for ten minutes. take 1/3 of the chickpeas out and blen in the pan with the moulinex thingy. then add some egg pasta (the best is broken up egg lasagna sheets) and cook till the pasta is ready. leave it to rest for a couple of minutes and serve. the next day is even thicker and nicer IMO.

buon appetito

PippiLangstrump Sat 18-Aug-07 11:47:45

PS: you can make it with not-canned chickpeas of course, you'll have to cook them for longer of course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now