Talk

Advanced search

Meal ideas without a fridge freezer?

(19 Posts)
Phycadelicsilhouette Fri 20-Sep-19 16:38:18

Fridge freezer has gone kaput, was on its last legs and has finally died. Used up what we could but have ended up very sadly throwing food away. sad
New one arriving next week but now have a good few days of making meals from entirely not refrigerated or frozen foods.
Tonight is butternut squash and red pepper soup (with fresh peppers bought today) and crusty bread and butter but I’m running out of inventive ideas! Does anyone have any please? I can’t cope with any more junky food!

sleepismysuperpower1 Fri 20-Sep-19 17:01:09

bean and rice burritos (use canned tomatoes instead of fresh diced ones)

ODFOx Fri 20-Sep-19 17:05:46

Eat whatever you want, but buy daily.

PickAChew Fri 20-Sep-19 17:13:12

Fruit and veg will keep OK in a cool place for a few days.

Tuna and Sweetcorn pasta (with a tomatoes sauce, either from scratch or using a jar)
Veggie chilli and rice.
Frittata. Eggs don't even have to be refrigerated.

Orangedaisy Fri 20-Sep-19 17:13:31

Tuna pasta bake. Without cheese would still be ok!

gowgow Fri 20-Sep-19 18:31:25

As already said, buy meat/fish daily, but get some frozen meat that can defrost ready for the next day.

formerbabe Fri 20-Sep-19 18:38:52

Jacket potatoes with beans/tuna

Pasta and sauce

Veg chilli...you need onions and peppers which are fine stored out of the fridge...canned tomatoes and kidney beans...served with rice

YoungMummy94 Fri 20-Sep-19 18:56:42

Jacket potatoes
Soups
Lentil shepherds pie
Butternut squash quesadillas - https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/food/2019/jan/17/joe-wicks-recipe-barbecue-butternut-quesadillas
Pesto pasta
Vegetable stir fry

Phycadelicsilhouette Fri 20-Sep-19 20:23:09

Thank you everybody smile
I’m buying the bits that are really needed daily by trying to live without spending too much on a daily basis as it soon adds up and also wastes allot of food as no where to store leftovers.
Love the sound of the burritos, I might do those one evening but with the addition of avocado and cheese (I have a mini fridge for milk and cheese at the moment, literally one of those teenagers novelty bedroom things but it keeps small amounts.)
Not worried about fruit and veg as I know it keeps without refrigeration.
Pasta and rice are good options but none of us are huge fans of either to be honest and we probably only eat them once every week or 2 at the most. Will try and incorporate more rice!

formerbabe Fri 20-Sep-19 21:12:00

Cous cous, noodles or polenta are other options if you aren't keen on rice or pasta.

Ihatesundays Fri 20-Sep-19 21:16:54

Can you borrow one of those freezer boxes and use freezer packs (if you get someone else to freeze them) - it keeps stuff cool very well if you keep swapping the packs.

FusionChefGeoff Fri 20-Sep-19 21:30:16

Fajitas is always an eat what I buy meal generally.

Salmon, pasta, head of broccoli, couple of leeks, jar of pesto makes a yummy tea. Smother salmon in pesto and make foil parcel to oven steam / bake. Cook broccoli / leeks / pasta then stir together with olive oil. Leftover Pesto will keep in a cupboard until freezer arrives or go full on and make your own so you can get quantity spot on!

FusionChefGeoff Fri 20-Sep-19 21:32:54

Ooh how about cooked lentil pouches plus pan fried chicken and roasted veggies? Obvs with chicken fresh.

Corned beef hash??

M&S tinned curries always get very good reviews in the Camping threads

Chickpea and veg curry.

Tinned mixed beans and veg chilli.

inwood Fri 20-Sep-19 22:19:08

Special fried rice - eggs, micro rice and whatever else you have

You're going to have to buy stuff anyway so I'd buy for the day and keep it cheap.

RockingMyFiftiesNot Sat 21-Sep-19 17:25:17

I'd use it as an excuse to buy tinned Fray Bentos pies!

Phycadelicsilhouette Sat 21-Sep-19 20:33:34

Ooh we love cous cous and noodles! Thankyou @formerbabe
Great idea with the ice box @Ihatesundays but I wouldn’t want to bother the neighbours like that.
@FusionChefGeoff thank you, I think fajitas will be one of our meals until new fridge freezer arrives smile I absolutely LOVE corned beef hash and I haven’t made it for a lifetime! (Once found a whole veiny thing in my tin of princes corned beef and it put me off until... well now! confused) lentils, chicken and veg also sound good although I have a huge amount of dried lentils in so would make those myself.
@inwood keeping it cheap is the idea. The breakdown itself has been a huge cost!
@RockingMyFiftiesNot I’ve never tried one! Are they any good? (I’m guessing your answer will be yes!)

Phycadelicsilhouette Sat 21-Sep-19 20:34:58

Tonight I had leftover soup from last night as I used no dairy or meat stock I reheated it after storing in cliplock container and had with bread and butter and I did DC quesadillas with cheese, salami and veg.

RockingMyFiftiesNot Sat 21-Sep-19 20:58:14

I haven't had one for years @Phycadelicsilhouette, used to get them from kwiksave when I was a student and thought they were amazing. Force myself to walk past them in B&M now!

Phycadelicsilhouette Tue 24-Sep-19 09:52:07

I might have to pop one on my shopping list for Friday @RockingMyFiftiesNot. I feel like I’ve missed out on something people should experience at least once in life! grin

2 days left until fridge freezer is delivered. Not that I’ve been counting down or anything. I honestly didn’t realise how hard it would be to live without one!

Woke in the night to our eldest cat knocking down a Kilner jar with my youngest DS marble collection inside and a glassy mess all over his room and then woke this morning to a leaking trickle valve in the lounge window... thought it was the window Pane at first so very relieved. Off out to buy Sealant for a hopeful repair job and fingers crossed that with the fridge freezer is our 3 bad luck things done for a while!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »