Talk

Advanced search

Topside in slow cooker, overcooked, what did I do wrong?

(9 Posts)
cheesenpickle Sun 15-Sep-19 15:26:44

I've just cooked 1kg of topside in a slow cooker, it's been on low for 5 hours. So it's meant to flake away and be lovely and moist. Well it isn't it's dry, what have I done wrong. I'm assuming I've cooked it too long ? How long would give me lovely moist meat?

OP’s posts: |
PoppingOneOutIn2020 Sun 15-Sep-19 15:29:39

How did you prep? Did you own fry to brown it first? Add any seasoning? Add any stock?

PoppingOneOutIn2020 Sun 15-Sep-19 15:30:20

Forgot to add, I dont have any advice but the same bloody thing happens to me. Every. Single. Time.

I thought a slow cooker was fool proof. I must just be a massive fool.

cheesenpickle Sun 15-Sep-19 16:58:08

Everything I read reckoned it was foolproof method of cooking a joint. Clearly not! Glad it's not just me. I sealed it , sat it on carrots, onions and celery and put a mug of stock in. It should in.theory be lovely.

bikinibottommuffintop Sun 15-Sep-19 17:00:00

Topside doesn’t have enough fat for slow cooking. Brisket or shin much better

cheesenpickle Sun 15-Sep-19 17:49:30

I did see some slow cooked recipes for topside. I know brisket slow cooks better but I wasn't on banking on the topside being so dry. I'm just wondering for a kg of topside how long should it be done approx.

Kaz2200 Mon 16-Sep-19 13:02:28

Have you eaten it all, if its dry I would wait until is cold and have it sliced really thinly with chips and chutney.

cheesenpickle Mon 16-Sep-19 17:32:20

It wasn't too bad actually smothered with gravy. Maybe next time I just need to cook it for half the time and keep checking it I guess.

Wolfiefan Mon 16-Sep-19 17:34:12

Did you add liquid to the slow cooker? I always do and turn the meat over half way through cooking.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »