Talk

Advanced search

Any suggestions for our summer glut of plums....

(12 Posts)
TheDuchessOfNorksBride Thu 09-Aug-07 19:48:22

I've made jam, compote & Hugh Fearnleys hot & sour plum dipping sauce. And I'll make some pies for the freezer.

Has anyone made plum chutney? Is it any good?

Is there anything else? I have millions of the things...

TIA

<wades off through plum-mountain>

policywonk Thu 09-Aug-07 20:03:07

Plums - they're everywhere, the buggers. <Flicks eyes left and right.> A friend of mine keeps giving me bags full, failing to notice that I've got a bleedin tree full of the things in my own garden.

I've been stewing them and eating them with cream. She (my plum-mate) has been making plum cakes.

PrincessGoodLife Thu 09-Aug-07 20:06:20

living in a plum orchard so getting rather sick of them

plum chutney - yes, very nice

also combine it with courgette if you have a glut of that and that's nice too

Donk Thu 09-Aug-07 20:10:35

Plum Chutney is delicious!

tassisssss Thu 09-Aug-07 20:11:27

stew them and freeze them for autumn crumbles

plum chutnew is lovely

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Thu 09-Aug-07 20:17:36

Thank you for your prompt replies!

I do have courgettes-a-plenty as well so I will shortly go and make plum chutney - cue house reeking of vinegar!

I'll look up plum cake recipes too.

And I will check back later this evening to see if anymore bright ideas have been posted

PrincessGoodLife Fri 10-Aug-07 06:21:33

Also this website is handy for finding recipes that contain any combination of ingredients. Lots on there for plums too!

The plum and courgette chutney I make is based on Hugh F-W's River Cottage Chutney one substituting tomatoes for plums. Yum!

Furball Fri 10-Aug-07 07:13:11

we cut ours in half and freeze them on flat trays then decant them into big freezer bags to use as we wish throughout the year. Much easier and less 'not plums again' than trying to use up quickly as they ripen.

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Fri 10-Aug-07 11:58:04

OK - will do Hugh F's chutney, I didn't have enough sugar to do it last night. I did make several pots of 'Pissed Plums' which is a booze-laden compote that I can give to friends.

Will deffo freeze halved plums on flat trays - that keeps options open for the winter months.

Thanks all.

Aefondkiss Sat 01-Sep-07 22:21:55

tdonb can you give me recipe/links to recipes, esp the boozy compote... my fingers have been badly stained due to my attempt to deal with the fruit of 5 plum trees, this is my first year of plum preserving/cooking

I feel slightly overwhelmed

kidsrus Sat 01-Sep-07 22:41:51

if you have too many why not bag some up and leave outside your gate with a note saying fresh plums please help yourself or charge a small amount for them(some people would rather pay something).
You might have some neighboughs who love plums and want some with a smaller carbon footprintgrin

Aefondkiss Sun 02-Sep-07 21:40:36

tis a great plan, but I have three neighbours and at least one of them has plums that I can see, and we live up a wee lane, in the country

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now