Talk

Advanced search

Fajitas - anyone make them without the packet mixes?!

(50 Posts)
JadeBigBum Fri 13-Sep-19 17:56:00

If you do, please can you tell me what mix of spices you use? I want to start making my own.

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
mostimproved Fri 13-Sep-19 17:57:40

Yes - I just use a mix of cumin, smoked paprika, chilli powder and salt and it tastes pretty good to me! I think I got his from a Jamie Oliver recipe years ago.

ShirleyPhallus Fri 13-Sep-19 17:58:49

Sorry but NOTHING tastes as good as old El Paso, even restaurant fajitas and in Mexico aren’t as good

Placemarking in case anyone can show otherwise grin

Wilmalovescake Fri 13-Sep-19 18:00:47

Smoked paprika, tomato purée, garlic and chilli.

WinnerWinnerChickenDinner0 Fri 13-Sep-19 18:01:12

I love this recipe from domini kemps book

SoyDora Fri 13-Sep-19 18:01:29

Haha ShirleyPhallus I’m not keen on the old El Paso spice mixes at all!
We use a similar mix to mostimproved.

DPotter Fri 13-Sep-19 18:01:51

cumin & smoked paprika in equal quantities. Can swap ordinary paprika for half smoked if you prefer a slightly less hot version. I find the packs far too salty.

Aquamarine1029 Fri 13-Sep-19 18:02:02

This recipe is FAR better than Old El Paso.

cookingmadehealthy.com/fajita-vegetables/

You can add any protein you wish to it.

Leftielefterson Fri 13-Sep-19 18:02:41

I’ve used this recipe in the past OP but I still think the old El Paso beats it.

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/fajita-seasoning%3famp

Wahaca have good spice kits too.

bloodywhitecat Fri 13-Sep-19 18:02:56

1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

leasedaudi Fri 13-Sep-19 18:03:08

Just look at the spices for the packet mix and use them

PuffHuffle5 Fri 13-Sep-19 18:03:39

I use a Schwartz fajita seasoning spice mix - it comes in a spice jar so lasts ages, not like a one use spice mix packet. I’ll add chilli powder on top of that and some paprika as well (and whatever other random things I find in the cupboard and take my fancy really...)

JadeBigBum Fri 13-Sep-19 19:18:09

@mostimproved, what proportions do you use? Thanks!

mostimproved Fri 13-Sep-19 19:25:36

@JadeBigBum I just do half and half cumin and paprika, then about half as much chilli powder and a pinch of salt. So for example 2tbsp cumin, 2 tbsp smoked paprika, 1tbsp chilli powder and a pinch of salt and just increase in proportion to how much you need. Very simple!

enterparentone Fri 13-Sep-19 19:35:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dementedpixie Fri 13-Sep-19 19:41:12

The Santa Maria fajita mix is nicer than old el paso

ColdCottage Fri 13-Sep-19 19:44:11

Following.

dementedpixie Fri 13-Sep-19 19:45:42

The Santa Maria ingredients:

Chilli Pepper (28%),Spices and Herbs (18%) (Cumin, Paprika, Oregano, Coriander Leaf, Cayenne Pepper, Cinnamon),Salt,Onion,Garlic,Sugar,Lime Juice Powder,Lemon Juice Powder,Anti-Caking Agent (Silicon Dioxide),Natural Flavouring

Ronia Fri 13-Sep-19 19:46:22

We just use chili powder but then make guacamole, black beans and salsa from scratch and have a range of spices in those

PickAChew Fri 13-Sep-19 19:58:16

I use this recipe - works well with rump steak or chicken thigh fillets. The video is really useful because it's as much about the cooking technique as the ingredients.
www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/steak_fajitas/

PickAChew Fri 13-Sep-19 19:59:50

I also use whatever chillis I have to hand - a few chilli flakes if none fresh.

MidnightMystery Fri 13-Sep-19 20:57:00

I used jerk powder seasoning, for the kids I used a splash of lemon and garlic.

Spinach and sweet corn and homemade salsa two tomatoes, half an onion, pepper and green pepper like what you get from the kebab shop.

Mint dip (3 tablespoons Greek yogurt with one/two tea spoons of mint sauce)

Sweet chilli dip (3 tablespoons Greek yogurt with 3 tea spoons sweet chilli sauce)

Was really nice!

Pigletthedog Fri 13-Sep-19 21:01:44

I just use chilli powder and a bit of Cajun or whatever else I've got in - I really came on here to say use halloumi as your protein. It's amazing grin

ineedanotherholiday Fri 13-Sep-19 21:03:29

My auntie used to do the most amazing fajitas for us when we were kids. I can't ask her as we were not in touch anymore but I know she used to use a small pot of seasoning. I think it was yellow and purple perhaps.

It was around 20 years ago! I found it once in a home bargains store but have never been able to find it since not through lack of trying sad. Probably discontinued now and a very long shot but if anyone has any ideas please send them my way.

Sorry to disrupt your thread op, I use old el
Paso in the absence of the amazing mix we had as kids.

JadeBigBum Sat 14-Sep-19 07:23:04

Ok, reporting back. We tried Mostimproved’s recipe last night. We all really liked the taste but I cooked it exactly how we cook it when we used the packet (chicken first, then spices and veg in together) but the spices were a bit gritty (I was using BART spices so finely ground) when we were eating it. Any ideas on how to stop that happening?

I might try the marinading one with lime next time - we all love lime smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »