Talk

Advanced search

HELP - Anyone got a recipe for Toad and roots in the hole?

(7 Posts)
BexieID Thu 09-Aug-07 12:45:22

I can't for the life of me find the recipe book it was in!

MaureenMLove Thu 09-Aug-07 12:49:04

Whats roots?

BexieID Thu 09-Aug-07 13:30:28

Sweede and carrrots. It's ok now, I found the recipe book with it in!

Katymac Thu 09-Aug-07 13:31:58

Sounds nice - can we have the recipe too?

BexieID Thu 09-Aug-07 22:50:26

Ok, here is the recipe for TOAD 'N ROOTS IN THE HOLE:

Ingredients:

375g(12 oz) raw beetroot, scrubbed, or sweede, peeled
2 carrots
2 onions, quartered
3 tablespoons of corn or rapeseed (granola oil)
8 sausages
8 rashers of streaky bacon
125g (40z) plain flour
1 egg
300ml (1/2 pint) milk
salt (optional) and black pepper

Cut the beetroot or sweede and carrots into 4cm chunks. Put in a roasting tin with the quatered onions, drizzle with the oil and toss to coat. Roast in a preheated oven at 190 C Gas Mark 5 for 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, prick the sausages with a fork and wrap a bacon rasher around eah one.

Remove the roasting tin from the ove, turn the vegetables, add the bacon-wrapped sausages and turn them to coat with oil. Roast for a further 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the batter. Put the flour into a bowl and stir in the egg, half the milk, a pinch of salt (if using) and a little pepper. Whisk in the remaining milk until smooth.

Turn the sausages ans spread thema nd the vegetables evely in the roasting tin. Pour in the batter, return to the oven and bake for a further 40 minutes until the batter is well risen and crisp. Serve with peas or cabbage, and baked beans if you like.

It was nice, the bit i tried. I then had to blend it for Thomas, which was a bugger!

Doodledootoo Thu 09-Aug-07 22:57:46

Message withdrawn

Katymac Fri 10-Aug-07 20:25:54

That sounds lovely - might give it a go

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now