Talk

Advanced search

If you make your own pizza...

(55 Posts)
FrenchBoule Wed 11-Sep-19 11:18:17

... what topping combinations would you recommend?

How do you make your tomato sauce? Mine is tin of chopped tomatoes with garlic and a bit of tomato puree. Still a bit watery sometimes and not enough tomato tasting 🙄

pourmeanotherglass Fri 27-Sep-19 08:15:25

Pizza dough from the Usborne beginners cookbook that one of the kids had when they were little. Sauce is passata.
Cheese is pre-grated mozzarella, as cheddar goes quite dark before the dough is cooked.
We make one each and do our own toppings.
DD1 is vegan and puts loads of veg on with no cheese.
DD2 just likes cheese and egg, but might add sweet corn if DD1 has opened a tin.
DH likes spicy meat if we have any in, with maybe some red peppers.
I like spinach and veg and sometimes an egg if I fancy one.

JollyAndBright Fri 27-Sep-19 08:18:38

We make pizza a lot (at least once a week)

Years ago DP and I did a pizza ‘masterclass’ with a semi famous chef in Italy, it was amazing and some of the dishes we made with him were some of the best things I’ve ever eaten.

I still make the pizza sauce he taught us as its simple, easy to make and tastes incredible.

1 tin of really good Italian whole tomatoes.
a good glug of good olive oil
A couple of cloves of minced garlic
Fresh and dried oregano
1/4 of a teaspoon of sugar
Salt and pepper to taste.

Sauté the garlic until fragrant, in a bowl crush the tomatoes by hand then add to the pan.
Bring to a simmer then add the dried oregano and sugar.
Simmer on low uncovered for an hour then add the fresh oregano and S&P continue to simmer until its reduced down to the desired consistency, I find another 20 minutes is ideal.

This also times it perfectly with my dough recipe so it’s cooled just enough by the time we are ready for it.

NumberblockNo1 Fri 27-Sep-19 08:31:35

Jolly.... whats your dough recipe? Is that done in 20mins too...

Im so making pizza this weekend!

Trewser Fri 27-Sep-19 08:41:47

My dough recipe is done in 15 mins! Bbc good food pizza margarita in four easy steps. Brilliant.

CherryPavlova Fri 27-Sep-19 08:49:57

I don’t make it so often now but bulk make the tomato topping and freeze in cubes. Sofrito, slowly sweated then passata, purée, pinch of sugar, freeze dried oregano, cooked slowly until reduced. Once defrosted I sometimes stir in some Parmesan.
Toppings we used to always do a buffet style ‘make your own’ with various things that we had in the fridge from pepperoni and pepper to pineapple and leftover sliced sausages. My husband and I like a simple pepperoni, onion and mushroom.
Cheese is again what’s in the fridge but options of grated mozzarella along with mozzarella slices, Stilton and feta. Sometimes cheddar with chilli, which is delicious on pizza.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »