Talk

Advanced search

foie gras

(26 Posts)
Alysa Tue 10-Sep-19 15:21:37

Hi all,

because I'm a foie gras junkie I would like to know if I can eat foie gras without any risk during pregnancy, according to this website www.foiegrasgourmet.com/en/foie-gras-blog/foie-gras-pregnant-woman
I hope so much that it's true because I eat it at least once a month. Can foie gras eating women who were pregnant confirm this?

OP’s posts: |
TigerCameForTea Tue 10-Sep-19 15:40:34

Do you know how foie gras is made? Maybe if you did you wouldn't want to eat it 😔

LesLavandes Tue 10-Sep-19 23:23:36

I don't think you can

BrokenWing Tue 10-Sep-19 23:25:59

Forgetting the obvious animal cruelty issue, wouldn't you be better taking the NHS advice on liver and pate rather than comments from random unqualified women. It's akin to asking did you smoke /drink during pregnancy and was it ok?

pasmayalabeille Thu 12-Sep-19 17:28:54

You can eat it, but not too much because of the vitamin A

www.tiniloo.com/blog/2016/12/manger-du-foie-gras-enceinte/

BrokenWing Fri 13-Sep-19 07:03:56

@pasmayalabeille and is just a little listeria ok too?

All pate is to be avoided during pregnancy due to listeria risk which can be harmful to the baby. Op should listen to nhs advice, then make her own mind up rather that unqualified randoms.

Spam88 Fri 13-Sep-19 07:39:19

Isn't it liver? Liver is off limits because of the vitamin A content.

pasmayalabeille Fri 13-Sep-19 19:06:38

@BrokenWing

Fois Gras is actually paté - it's just cooked and preserved liver.

I just gave a brief translation of the article I linked - here is yet another one from doctissimo - which a reliable french medical site -

www.doctissimo.fr/grossesse/alimentation-et-grossesse/aliments-a-surveiller-pendant-la-grossesse/manger-foie-gras-enceinte

And also on the french public health website

sante.fr/salmonellose-enceinte-comment-leviter#q=recherche/s-informer/alimenatation%20enceinte&nid=1068441

Both say that given the cooking temperature of fois gras there is no risk of listeria.

I was just trying to reply to a query - and I know that here pregnant women are told they can eat fois gras during pregnancy but should limit it to special occasions due to vitamin A.

It might not be an NHS recommendation - but it is a public health recommendation and I don't think we have a higher rate of pregnancy complications in France than you do in the UK.

But yes you are right - ultimately the OP is responsible for her own choices.

Alysa Mon 16-Sep-19 13:23:02

@pasmayalabeille : thanks very much for the advice, I'm happy I can continue to eat it from time to time
@TigerCameForTea : animal welfare wasn't the issue here... and yes I know I'm naughty smile

OP’s posts: |
dontgobaconmyheart Fri 20-Sep-19 11:00:19

It's not that it's 'naughty' OP, it's that it's disgustingly and violently cruel. It's not about eating meat or not it's about the method used for food grass. Eat what you want- though on this occasion I think I'd stick to health guidelines if pregnant. No need to be glib about the process though - how the product of animal torture could be a delicacy , I will never know.

Honeyroar Fri 20-Sep-19 11:03:29

You're not naughty you're revolting with no morals. I despise people like you who giggle it off that creatures are suffering (a lot) so you can eat what you want. You're a reason the cruelty exists.

Sassyk Fri 20-Sep-19 18:56:55

I never fail to be amazed at how people (like the Op) are completely unfazed by cruelty. I like to think we’ve/society has moved on slightly. Don’t be glib about it..

Windydaysuponus Fri 20-Sep-19 18:58:59

Hopefully your dc will have higher regard for animal welfare.

EmmaC78 Fri 20-Sep-19 19:03:56

I am shocked you can eat this and take animal welfare so lightly. I am not against people eating meat but the cruelty inflicted on the animals to produce foie gras is unacceptable. To describe it as 'naughty' is a slight understatement.

PickAChew Fri 20-Sep-19 19:15:45

Junkie? Naughty? For crying out loud.

LoreleiRock Sun 22-Sep-19 03:26:49

You can get ethical foie gras. Whilst I agree with the sentiment of unnecessary cruelty displayed by other posters. How many use dairy?

EmmaC78 Sun 22-Sep-19 17:58:41

I don't eat much dairy. Mostly soya or oat milk plus vegan cheese etc. Where I do eat dairy I make sure it is free range eggs etc. The dairy industry can be cruel but foie gras takes cruelty to a whole new level in terms of animal welfare.

EdWinchester Sun 22-Sep-19 18:05:48

You're not naughty - you're downright hideous.

If you are intelligent enough, please take a moment to read this

(Although I suspect this OP is a windup)

BeingATwatItsABingThing Sun 22-Sep-19 18:48:39

You disgust me. I have and will continue to walk out of any restaurant that serves fois gras, explaining exactly why they are losing my money.

NeverGotMyPuppy Sat 05-Oct-19 18:32:50

I didn't think many people are foie gras anymore.

You're not 'naughty' OP - you just have no ethics. Naughty is having 3 Crunchie bars.

TinklyLittleLaugh Sun 06-Oct-19 16:21:22

Hmm, free range eggs are not dairy.

Fois gras is quite disgusting in its production (though delicious) but so are many other forms of meat rearing. Unless you are a complete vegan I don’t think you can judge.

But I suspect the OP of simply being goady anyway.

sleepingbeautyaurora Sun 06-Oct-19 16:41:41

Foie gras is 🤮🤮🤮
Liver 🤮🤮🤮

Otterseatpuffinsdontthey Sun 06-Oct-19 17:38:28

q

cdtaylornats Sun 06-Oct-19 18:21:37

Just buy Foie Gras made outside France. Force feeding is only done in France because it is required by law.

cdtaylornats Sun 06-Oct-19 18:23:50

You disgust me. I have and will continue to walk out of any restaurant that serves fois gras, explaining exactly why they are losing my money.

You disgust me for not doing 30 seconds research to find out how things have changed. Bet you don't have veal either - look into Rose Veal.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »