Talk

Advanced search

Do you think I can freeze this?

(6 Posts)
MrsMar Wed 08-Aug-07 13:15:43

I made some really nice creme fraiche and watercress sauce last night to go with some salmon steaks we had. I of course made far too much... do you think I can freeze it? The creme fraiche pot said not suitable for freezing, but I can't think why. I often freeze cream, is there something in creme fraiche that makes it unfreezeable? The sauce is just creme fraiche, watercress and limejuice. Any clues?

Sheherazadethegoat Wed 08-Aug-07 13:20:58

you could try but it might curdle when you defrost.

chopster Wed 08-Aug-07 13:21:05

you will probably end up with water with lumps in it when you defrost it. If it's only going to go in the bin otherwise it is worth a try but I doubt it will be edible.

MrsMar Wed 08-Aug-07 14:19:45

oh that's such a shame... you can't do anything to get something back when it's curdled can you?

Otherwise I might try and think of another way of using it... perhaps I could take some to work to have with a jacket potato, or make some kind of salad dressing with it...

Mercy Wed 08-Aug-07 14:24:27

MrsMar - is creme fraiche lower in fat than double cream?

(I occasionally make that sauce too)

MrsMar Wed 08-Aug-07 16:44:15

I think so. Double cream is usually about 40% fat and I've just had a look at the pot I used (which was, to be fair half fat creme fraiche) and its 14% fat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now