Talk

Advanced search

Your best instant sauce or seasoning for plain vegetables?

(18 Posts)
stirling Mon 02-Sep-19 14:53:09

Hi,
For a long term health condition I've been advised to eat a savoury breakfast that includes steamed vegetables.
I'm really pushed for time and breakfast used to be a quick bowl of museli.

Anyway, plain veg and salt is making my stomach churn first thing. Do you know of a good sauce (no chilli) or seasoning that'll liven it up? I tried a Mediterranean tomato herbs salt grinder thing, seems OK but would like others to try.

Thank you

BaronessBomburst Mon 02-Sep-19 14:54:31

Butter!
Ivan eat anything with enough butter and a bit of salt.

BaronessBomburst Mon 02-Sep-19 14:54:54

*I can

MoMandaS Mon 02-Sep-19 14:57:32

A light vinaigrette? Tonnato (tuna) dressing - might be a bit of a challenge first thing in the morning though. Plain yoghurt, maybe with a bit of tahini and lemon stirred through?

LadyMonicaBaddingham Mon 02-Sep-19 15:00:57

That squeezy balsamic glaze is really nice on vegetables.

Sesame oil?

Smoked salt as a change?

LoveGrowsWhere Mon 02-Sep-19 15:05:06

Drizzle of basil olive oil.

DS ate leftover M&S sweet potato salad for breakfast the other day. It's basically sweet potato in mild minty yoghurt.

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 02-Sep-19 15:21:05

Lemon zest?
I like mine with just black pepper too.

Yutes Mon 02-Sep-19 15:25:18

Would recommend anything with lemon or lime juice.

Coriander or rosemary or parsley (the dried kind) would work quite well with some salt.

Following with interest because the thought of sweet things first thing make me want to envy (not envy)

SequinnedSlippers Mon 02-Sep-19 15:27:05

Little bit of aivar? It’s a sort of dip made with red peppers, aubergine and oil. There’s also a hot version with chilli. You get it in Sainsburys.

wigglycactus Mon 02-Sep-19 15:27:26

Really nice salted butter, like the waitrose butter with sea salt in. So nice on vegetables! And maybe a bit of black pepper.

FamilyOfAliens Mon 02-Sep-19 15:30:06

The dressing in this delicious vegan recipe is amazing - all made in the blender in seconds.

It’s especially lovely with the scorched tenderstem broccoli and mange tout flavours.

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/aug/04/meera-sodha-recipe-forbidden-rice-greens-miso

JingsMahBucket Mon 02-Sep-19 15:50:20

@stirling are you supposed to be avoiding fat too, is that the issue?

Maybe a frittata or omelette packed with veg would help.

stirling Mon 02-Sep-19 21:25:14

Hi everyone, thanks for the great suggestions! I'm actually feeling hungry reading them now smile
I'm making a list of the above to hang in the kitchen, haven't even heard of things like aivar... Ready to try it all to be honest. I have no imagination in the kitchen

MsRinky Fri 06-Sep-19 14:15:51

MSG. Seriously. www.businessinsider.com/cooking-with-msg-supersalt-2017-2?r=US&IR=T

Deathraystare Tue 10-Sep-19 18:07:57

MSG. Seriously.

Give me a serious banging headache!

CheshireChat Wed 11-Sep-19 22:31:16

Chinese black rice vinegar, a bit like balsamic vinegar but 100 times better.

northerngirl2012 Wed 11-Sep-19 22:34:16

What about roasted beetroot , blended as a dip add mint , lemon & garlic but it’s SO sweet.

Blondie1984 Thu 12-Sep-19 01:04:33

Tahini thinned with a little water or yoghurt is lovely on veg - as is hummus

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »