Talk

Advanced search

please help settle this about nuts

(13 Posts)
jo25 Tue 07-Aug-07 20:28:45

My DH and i have spent the last 4 years disagreeing about when our DS can eat whole nuts, I say 5 but he would have given him whole nuts at 1!!! what are the guidelines on this?

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Tue 07-Aug-07 20:30:07

i think nuts in genera are ok from early on but PEANUTS sholdn't be given bfore 7 because if they are inhaled they produce a toxin in the lungs that kills children.

or something like that.

Carmenere Tue 07-Aug-07 20:31:35

What??? that sounds like bunkum to me??

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Tue 07-Aug-07 20:35:25

no honestly. it does. let me google.

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Tue 07-Aug-07 20:39:49

oh-maybe not.

why did i think that?

but no peanuts till 5 anyway.

nickytwotimes Tue 07-Aug-07 20:41:11

Oh dear.
I give ds "tastes" of my peanut butter...

Spockle Tue 07-Aug-07 20:43:28

I think it's no nuts at all til one (b/c nut allergy risk) and no whole nuts til 5 years (though they used to say 3 years) b/c risk of inhalation. I think you may be a bit right about the peanut thing, but it's mainly just because whole nuts are just the right size to block the trachea if small children inhale them.
There are people who won't let their kids anywhere near a crunchy nut cornflake, but mainly they are barking.

babygrand Tue 07-Aug-07 23:10:11

Gave my kids nuts from a very early age. Never thought twice about it. We're veggie so an obvious source of protein.

jo25 Wed 08-Aug-07 09:11:34

Thank you everyone, it has now sorted out disagreemnet!! i think i may let DS 4.8 have whole nuts now if he wants them. He has eaten peanut butter (smooth) since he was about 2 and is fine.

Donk Wed 08-Aug-07 09:27:01

ADvice has been that if there are allergies/eczema (sp?)/asthma in the house then peanuts in particular should be avoided until children are 5.
However some experts (there was an article in the New Scientist about this a while back) now think that since most people will be unwittingly exposing their children to small quantities of peanut anyway (and they don't mean crunchy nut cornflakes!) this may merely make matters worse....
Apparently roast nuts are far worse for allergens than other ways of cooking them e.g. those used in cuisines where peanuts are a normal part of the diet rather than snacks or peanut butter.
Where this leaves us I have no idea......

Seona1973 Wed 08-Aug-07 09:56:13

if no history of allergic disease then nuts are ok from 6 months. If there is a history avoid them till the age of 3. Avoid giving whole nuts till the age of 5 as they are a choking hazard. DS had peanut butter from 8 months.

When is it safe to feed my baby NUTS?

Are nut/nut products safe for a baby?

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Wed 08-Aug-07 10:13:46

i think if there is no history then 6 months is ok for things with nuts in (peanut butter etc) but whole nuts shouldnt be given till a lot older in case they breathe them in.

i think my ds is fine, he got hold of a brazil nut off my mums floor (the parrot had decided he didnt want it!) and must have had it in his mouth for at least a minute before i managed to prise it off him!

obv keep an eye on them after the first few times!

witchandchips Wed 08-Aug-07 10:18:48

I've heard that when your arm is long enough to reach over your head and touch the ear on the other side your windpipe will be big enough to eat whole nuts. Fraid my ds has been eating whole nuts since around 10 months. just used to grab them out of my muesli. After a few weeks of taking them out i actually noticed that he always put in one at a time and always chewed them so i allow him to do so if i am close by.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now