Talk

Advanced search

Which Type/variety of potato for best baked potatoes

(11 Posts)
Bagadverts Sat 31-Aug-19 14:41:41

I bought potatoes today which I plan to bake. Says it is morfana, which I’ve looked up and is just a standard one.

Do you use a particular variety? I’ll either be microwave for 6 mins then baking in oven on high heat, or just baking. Any tips for crisp skin? I’d rather avoid oil as I generally just put them on the oven shelf.

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
gowgow Sat 31-Aug-19 17:11:37

I like Vivaldi, the flesh is quite creamy so butter isn't essential.

I don't use oil, just prick them with a skewer & leave it stuck through the middle. The skewer balances across a dish, keeping the spud in the air. The skin is the best part!

MotherOfSoupDragons Sat 31-Aug-19 21:44:40

King Edward for baked. Nice and fluffy.

Bagadverts Sun 01-Sep-19 15:24:13

I’ll try it out. @gowgow - do you use a roasting pin when you say dish?

Bagadverts Sun 01-Sep-19 15:24:42

Roasting tin not pin

gowgow Sun 01-Sep-19 16:33:10

I use a pyrex dish as the skewers fit across it, but it doesn't matter as the spuds don't touch it.

tommycockles Sun 01-Sep-19 21:54:06

Maribel. From the posh range at Asda.
There is no better potato

Serin Sun 01-Sep-19 23:14:20

I just use any that look to be about the right size. Microwave 6 mins and oven for 20.

HundredMilesAnHour Sun 01-Sep-19 23:20:39

I used to get Marfona potatoes from M&S (they sold them specifically as baking potatoes) and I thought they were the best by far! So smooth and creamy, regardless of whether I used the over or the microwave.

I can't stand King Edwards for baking. They're just ew!

granadagirl Sun 01-Sep-19 23:38:19

Defo Maris piper

Only oven baked, no microwave

Skin crisp up lovely

Nospringchickendipper Wed 11-Sep-19 10:12:50

I used to get Morfana potatoes from M&S and found them the best, but they seem to have stopped selling them.Can I ask where you bought them from.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »