Talk

Advanced search

eating fish after being veggie for 18 years

(10 Posts)
Meglet Tue 07-Aug-07 14:31:45

I started scoffing fish again after 18 years this weekend , haven't told anyone yet! Was desperate for my DS's fish and ate his leftovers! However I still cannot bear the idea of eating meat, thank goodness.

Anyone else go a bit odd once they had a partner & children to bring up and different food in the house?

Joppe Tue 07-Aug-07 14:35:53

I eventually started to eat fish again after my breastfed dd develop a dairy product and egg allergy and I had to cut it out of my diet. It took a while to get used to the taste again! I now sometimes eat fish when eating out, which feels very liberating when visiting friends (less complicated for them to feed you) and when travelling in countries where there are commonly no vegetarian choices.

BettySpaghetti Tue 07-Aug-07 14:39:57

I've been veggie for a similar amount of time to you Meglet and almost started eating fish when I was pregnant.

In the end I didn't but thats probably because it was a very specific type that I wanted (rather than "any old fish") and, at the end of the day, I remembered that I never really liked fish in my pre-veggie days anyway.

Meglet Wed 08-Aug-07 13:42:49

I must admit that I think it will make life easier for going out if I eat fish. And for once we can all eat the same food as a family! My DP and DS would survive on fish fingers given half a chance

GibbonInARibbon Wed 08-Aug-07 13:44:40

Have been veggie 17 years and thankfully don't miss meat or fish a bit.

Have to ask, was it weird????

ChipButty Wed 08-Aug-07 13:47:28

I have been veggie since age 12 and both my DCs are veggie. My DH eats meat but as I am the one who cooks, he does not get meat at home and says that he feels better for it. I cannot contemplate ever eating meat or fish again but respect your choice.

choklit Wed 08-Aug-07 13:53:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ProfYaffle Wed 08-Aug-07 13:59:39

I started eating fish after being veggie for about 17yrs. I had a phase of cooking it at home but didn't really like it. I can't bear shellfish and the bones in fish make me feel queasy so I'm almost come full circle. Now I only cook tuna at home and have the odd fishcake from the chippy and that's about it.

As you say, it makes eating out easier. It was a much bigger deal thinking about it than actually doing it

Meglet Fri 10-Aug-07 09:23:30

Gibbon - It wasn't as weird as I thought it would be. Just like being a kid again when my mum used to cook fish, think its partly a comfort thing. I did some plaice and that was a bit freaky as I was looking at the poor fishies skin before it cooked, but I ate it anyway . Still have my PETA animal rights stickers on the fridge and they are making me feel guilty, but will probably buy less meat for the family now as we can have fish instead.

Still haven't told my DP, he will wet himself laughing. He's a carnivore and has always thought I was a bit odd.

tallulah Fri 10-Aug-07 10:05:39

We were advised to feed DS1 fish when he was tiny after he lost loads of weight (never did find out why).

The DCs have continued to eat fish, which has made eating out easier. I will only eat white fish and that only very occasionally. Having watched the Trawler Men series I doubt I'll be eating it again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: