Talk

Advanced search

Vegetable lasagne

(20 Posts)
clucky3 Thu 29-Aug-19 22:20:23

What are your favourite veggie lasagne recipes? I'm trying to avoid a tomato sludge...

Mac47 Thu 29-Aug-19 22:45:08

Perfect description, I cant stand the homogenous tomato mush type. I love Hugh F-W's mushroom and kale lasagne instead.

kateandme Fri 30-Aug-19 00:20:02

i do everything i do with a normal one but instead of the mince i do courgette.mushrooms,garlic.red onions.sweetcorn,peppers.and also use sundried tomato jar and convent garden tomato soup instead of my usual dolmio and tinned tomatos.

Ricekrispie22 Fri 30-Aug-19 06:07:13

My family loves this one www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4716/creamy-courgette-lasagne

canihaveacoffeeplease Fri 30-Aug-19 07:56:15

I make a tomato and basil sauce, then griddle courgettes and aubergines and roast, peel and deseed peppers. Then layer it up sauce, courgette, pasta, sauce, aubergine pasta, sauce, peppers, pasta, bechamel, cheese.

It's a lot of effort but so worth it. Even committed carnivore DH says it's just as good as a meat lasagne!

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Fri 30-Aug-19 07:58:25

Loads of veggies but don’t use mushrooms as they are too watery (dried is fine). Don’t use soya - it makes it so heavy!

Chitarra Fri 30-Aug-19 08:00:33

My favourite is the Fay Ripley one:

thislittlepiggylovesfood.blogspot.com/2014/12/vegetarian-lasagne.html?m=1

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sat 31-Aug-19 21:44:01

I roast a load of vege - chunky red onions, shallots, mushrooms, peppers

Make a tomato sauce - onion, garlic, herbs, passata, wine - cook it for ages. Then add some of those Merchant Gourmet ready cooked Puy lentils - I especially like the Spanish style.

Add the roasted vege to the sauce.

clucky3 Sat 31-Aug-19 23:10:27

Thanks all for the suggestions, got a nice list to work through now!

Intheshadeoftrees Mon 02-Sep-19 16:19:20

I like spinach and ricotta.

Whip up the ricotta with an egg and some grated Parmesan or percorino add lots of lemon zest and some black pepper.

Wilt spinach in butter with lots of garlic.

Then do layers ricotta mix- pasta - spinach etc etc

Top with ricotta mix and about 10 minutes before it comes out of the oven top with flaked almonds.

FeedingFrenzy5 Mon 02-Sep-19 19:58:46

I really like a Jamie Oliver one called 'super squash lasagne'

Deathraystare Tue 03-Sep-19 11:45:14

I had baken bean lasagne last night in a hospital but I am guessing no one would want the recipe!!!

GoldPaperStars Tue 03-Sep-19 11:51:31

Nigella’s Mexican Lasagne is my favourite! Not traditional, but so delicious and one of those dishes that’s even better the next day.

HappyPunky Tue 03-Sep-19 12:00:25

I use mascapone in the white sauce and I spread pesto on the lasagne sheets when I'm assembling it. Most pesto isn't vegetarian, I use sacla organic.

I roast peppers, courgettes, red onions and aubergine and make a tomato sauce with spinach and red wine in it and simmered for a long time to reduce the liquid.

BishopFrownofStThigh Sun 08-Sep-19 19:25:18

@GoldPaperStars I'm going to try that, thanks - it sounds very similar to a gorgeous one our local Mexican did cheap for student lunches at uni, never replicated it

Sadik Sun 08-Sep-19 19:34:33

Best lasagne I've ever had bar none was made by a vegan friend, and had layers of chunky mediterannean veg in tomato sauce, vegan white sauce (I think oat milk but may have been soya), and then a hummus layer instead of cheese.

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Sun 08-Sep-19 19:37:48

I actually made the Best Lasagne In The World last night. Loads of veggies, porcini mushrooms, lots of herbs and a really thick cheese sauce. And breadcrumbs with grated cheese on top. Brown pasta (to offset all that naughty cheese). Mmmmmmmmm.

jcurve Wed 11-Sep-19 14:30:51

www.ais.gov.au/nutrition/recipes/vegetable_lasagne

This is one I’ve been making for close to 20 years. It doesn’t involve bechamel sauce. Very tasty & simple.

You can also very quickly whip up a spinach/ricotta lasagna by mixing 500g defrosted leaf spinach, 500g ricotta, a teaspoon of nutmeg, salt/pepper and a couple of cloves of grated garlic. Layer ricotta/spinach mix with store bought passata and a handful of grated mozzarella between lasagna sheets, finishing with a layer of passata and a big handful of cheese. Bake at 180 for 30 minutes til bubbling & brown on top.

Coffeeandchocolate9 Wed 18-Sep-19 07:20:26

I buy a bag (well, two) of frozen Mediterranean roasting vegetables and roast. Meanwhile cook tomato sauce with onions, pasatta, garlic etc. Layer with pasta and top with grated cheese.

brightonroc Wed 18-Sep-19 07:22:26

Roast long chunky slices of butternut squash, red peppers, aubergine and courgette and then layer up with the pasta and sauces.

Divine! And slices up really beautifully.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »