Talk

Advanced search

How do you meal plan?

(4 Posts)
actionpacked Wed 28-Aug-19 17:55:33

I’ve tried a few times to meal plan but end up either not factoring in snacks/changes of plans so buy too little or over buying and still ending up throwing food out.

There’s me, dh and 2 dc (teens), 1 vegetarian, 1 doesn’t really like meat but will eat some, 2 eat everything. Everyone eats at different times some days because of work. I struggle to feed everyone properly, I’m not the best cook, I feel I spend my evenings constantly thinking about what to feed everyone and cooking 4 different meals sad

Any tips (other than make them feed themselves grin ) to help me plan?

OP’s posts: |
Snowflake9 Wed 28-Aug-19 18:00:46

When I was growing up, my mum sat us all down and made us write our favourite meals down. We would each have one a week cooked, and we would have a pot luck dinner once a week too (pick one out of the jar). If we didn't like whatever was being cooked, then there was a stash in the freezer which we were repsonsible to cook if we wanted something different.

If worked well.

GrannySquares Fri 30-Aug-19 21:00:24

I write out weekly evening meal plans, plus breakfast and lunches

Then I write my shopping list accordingly. I write down lunches because I like to switch it up every now and again so it doesn't get tedious. I love meal planning!

gowgow Sun 01-Sep-19 19:05:38

I work the other way around, & cook according to what I've got & what needs using up.
We shop once a week & have a list of what needs replacing, but otherwise it's a case of looking for special offers, meats or fish not often stocked (where does all the oxtail go June-August?), & things that I fancy.

Apart from special meals/occasions, this works for me. Any leftover veg that needs using I turn into a veg curry or stir-fry. We have very little waste - I was brought up poor & old habits stay with you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »