Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does this sound enough for a big bowl of fresh berries for 20 people......??!

(17 Posts)
PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Mon 06-Aug-07 12:56:09

(also ~ 2 x meringues per person and vat of cream too.....)

2 x punnets raspberries
3 x punnets extra large blueberries
4 x punnets blackberries
3 x punnets strawberries

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Mon 06-Aug-07 12:59:54

p.s. and how many whole chickens should I buy roughly??

Carmenere Mon 06-Aug-07 13:00:49

Yes and 5 chickens

HectorsHouse Mon 06-Aug-07 13:03:10

depends on size of punnets .. but I would reckon you might need more .. why don't you add sliced banana too? ..are you going to make up the meringue nests because you'd need less berries then

whole chickens for 20 people (assuming adults) I'd say a 2.5 kilo bird gives 4 - 5 servings so I'd get 5 (more if smaller)

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Mon 06-Aug-07 13:04:33

Oh blast - I think the smoker will only hold 4. What sort of lbs per person do you think? I'm so hopeless with quantities. If you were doing a rice side thingie too, how much dried rice? Is it one mug for 3 people??

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Mon 06-Aug-07 13:06:32

I was just going to make 'normal' meringues and then people can have berries on their own / meringues on their own or be flash and whip themselves up a pavlova.

I am now in a state about the chickens.

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Mon 06-Aug-07 13:09:07

Actually - if I could get 4 x 2.5kg birds, that should do it shouldn't it? We could also have spicy sausages too.....

Tipex Mon 06-Aug-07 13:09:36

could you stick to 4 chickens and do something else to bulk it up a bit? if you want another cold meat how about ham? or sausages? is anyone veggie?

doesnt sound quite enough berries to me either but then with meringue they will need a lot less so you might be ok.

HectorsHouse Mon 06-Aug-07 13:10:31

can't you put one in an oven

or cook them in advance and serve cold chicken

or buy a couple of pre-roast chickens and just have the 4 cooking?

HectorsHouse Mon 06-Aug-07 13:12:23

yes I'd do sausages too and just have 4 birds

can't estimate rice . I'd probably put on about 3 bags (I like the wild rice and american long grain mix you can get at sainsbury's so am thinking of that size)

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Mon 06-Aug-07 13:14:11

We're doing a semi BBQ thing, so smoked chicken and creole type salads and rice. DH would be delighted to frizzle some sausages on the otherwise neglected BBQ (the chickens cook in the smoker) as it will give him + 'the guests' something to drink beer around.

I'll add another blueberry and another strawb - want as few as I can get away with as fridge space will be seriously limited and need to buy it the day before!

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Mon 06-Aug-07 13:15:16

One enorm bag of rice - 2 Kg that has chorizo sausage and onion and other bits in it too should be fine shouldn't it?

You are all brilliant - thank you for your help!

HectorsHouse Mon 06-Aug-07 13:16:43

plenty

it sounds delicious btw

how about some french bread? (cheap and everyone loves it)

you'll have loads of food left over I bet

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Mon 06-Aug-07 13:18:23

I was going to make tomato scofa bread.....do you think it really does need bread as well as rice??

HectorsHouse Mon 06-Aug-07 13:20:09

nope doesn't need it .. but I like french bread

HectorsHouse Mon 06-Aug-07 13:20:32

I really shouldn't be on this thread you know, I always massively over-cater

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Mon 06-Aug-07 13:30:51

Then you are the perfect person to help - I would MUCH rather there was too much than too little!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now