Talk

Advanced search

Want to start meal planning

(7 Posts)
RiftGibbon Wed 21-Aug-19 09:19:49

Just that really.
How/where do I start?
We're vegetarian (I'm dairy intolerant), DH and DC aren't, but I would like to have a couple of vegan options in there.
Currently cupboards have varying amounts of tinned & dried things.
Happy to do some online searching, but would like to hear your hand tips/go-to meals.

OP’s posts: |
Ricekrispie22 Wed 21-Aug-19 13:02:02

Well this was mine for this week:
Monday - bean burgers (not homemade!) with burger buns and green salad.

Tuesday - courgette lasagne as we have a glut of courgettes in the garden www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4716/creamy-courgette-lasagne Definitely not good if you have a dairy allergy!

Wednesday (today) - stuffed peppers www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/stuffed-peppers-with-couscous-courgette-and-mozzarella I needed to buy four red peppers, packet of lemon and coriander couscous, tomatoes and mozzarella. I’ll serve with a green salad made with lettuce left from the burgers on Monday. Another recipe to use up our courgette glut!

Thursday - curry www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/tomato-chickpea-curry I already have the spices as I make this regularly. I bought a tin of tomatoes, tin coconut milk, a tin of chickpeas. I don’t bother with the fresh coriander. I will use tomatoes left after making tonight’s (Wednesday’s) meal.

Friday - rice and bean enchiladas www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1569634/rice-and-bean-enchiladas serves 2 so I have to double. The recipe says a 200g tub of salsa, but I find most jars of salsa are 300g, so I just use 1 jar for the four of us. I don’t bother with the cajun seasoning - I use Uncle Ben’s spicy Mexican microwave rice. We have the leftover tortillas for lunch the next day. I’ll use leftover cheddar which I needed for the lasagne yesterday.

I haven’t got as far as thinking about the weekend yet.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 22-Aug-19 22:23:15

I'd start by writing a list of your favourite meals and see how many you can come up with. Then decide how many nights you want to cook for. We have a least one night a week where we have pizza, chips or a takeaway.

If you are DF are you ok with soya and tofu?

maxelly Fri 23-Aug-19 10:52:38

My family have a mixture of veggies (and diary reducers although no full vegans) and meat lovers, so I try and base my meal planning around meals which are easily batch cooked and which have the option to be either meaty or veggie with the same sides. I have built up to a system where I have a freezer full of batch cooked meals so that if I fresh cook a veggie version there is a meaty equivalent ready in the freezer to be defrosted (or vice versa). I find this the only way of catering to our various preferences without cooking separately every night. Our favourite 'batch cooked' meals which can also be vegan are below, for a few of them you can also just make the veggie/vegan version and then add some pre-cooked meat at the end to make it meaty, I'm told by the meat eaters it doesn't taste as good as a 'proper' meat version because the meat hasn't had a chance to 'cook in' but is acceptable as a weekday supper at least!

Chilli con carne/3 bean chilli

Curry - lots of vegan options e.g. spinach and chickpea, butternut squash and root veg, dahl. Plus of course meat options if you want that - or you can simply stir through some pre-cooked meat into a vegan curry for the meat eaters.

Spaghetti bolognese/lentil bolognese

Lasagne/veggie lasagne (you'll need to sub in a vegan cheese)

Shepherds pie/lentil shepherds pie

Tagine - chickpea, apricot and root veg/traditional chicken version (as above you can add pre-cooked chicken to the vg version at the end if preferred)

Tuscan bean stew/Tuscan sausage and bean stew (you can also add the cooked sausage to the bean version at end)

Mushroom risotto/garden veg risotto/chicken risotto (add chicken at end to vg versions if preferred)

Homemade burgers (beef/chicken/bean)

Happy to share recipes for any of the above if you like!

As Jilted says ^ we also have a few easier nights a week as no-one can be bothered batch cooking every single night, we do also have lives after all! On easy/lazy nights we have a quick simple dish such as pasta with tomato sauce, stir fry noodles with veggies or soup and a sandwich (meat eaters sometimes happy to have veggie, or they add some bacon or chicken to whatever veggies are having), or we use more processed stuff like sausages/veggie sausages, or ready made pizza bases with our own toppings, where it's easy to have separate vg/meat options. We also have a takeaway or eat out once a week!

AtleastitsnotMonday Fri 23-Aug-19 21:14:38

We had veggie guests last week, we had
Pasta Arabiata
Mediterranean veg fritata
BNS falafel in pitas
BBQ with halloumi and veg skewers, cauliflower steaks, veggie sausages and sweet potato and bean burgers
Vegetable stir fry with rice noodles and cashews
Vegetable chilli with rice, guacamole, sour cream, salsa and tortilla chips.

A menu planned on ease and speed!

SegregateMumBev Mon 26-Aug-19 08:54:04

Meat eating DH is away this week, so my meals are:

Mon: chickpea and aubergine tagine
Tues: Jackfruit "crab" cakes with courgette ribbons
Wed: prawn curry
Thurs: Teriyaki jackfruit sushi bowl
Fri: Quorn chilli

RiftGibbon Fri 30-Aug-19 08:16:30

Thanks for the help here! I suppose I need to work out what we do eat, add in what we could eat (though DC is fussy), and what could be made from what's in the cupboard.
I'll eat tofu & soya, DH will at a push, DC won't touch tofu...yet.hmm

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »