Talk

Advanced search

I don't like ham anymore - kids lunch boxes.

(21 Posts)
LITTLEGEEK Sun 18-Aug-19 19:25:41

Hi, hoping for some ideas please. Schools go back tomorrow here and DS takes packed lunches. He has just announced he no longer likes ham sandwiches.
I feel a bit stuck for ideas because he does not like cheese, eggs, or tomato sauce. I tried him with cocktail sausages, and pieces of chicken during holiday club but they came back uneaten as they were cold.
I've got a flask bowl type thing that I could put a hot lunch in but he's not keen on taking it.
Apart from filling his lunchbox with fruit, veggies, and yogurts, is a plain croissant or brioche roll with no filling acceptable? He would eat a nutella sandwich everyday if I let him...

luckygreeneyes Sun 18-Aug-19 19:28:47

How old is he? Did I like ham previously? Any SN?

LITTLEGEEK Sun 18-Aug-19 19:32:38

Hi, thanks for replying. He's 8 and did like ham. He had that everyday, so think he might have got fed up of it. No SN though

RB68 Sun 18-Aug-19 19:34:00

nutella and peanut butter you have to be careful with.

try philladelphia either plain or herby or with cucumber. What about a bagel or a wrap with salad and a bit of chicken. DD went through a phase of wanting baked beans so they went in in a small food flask.

Also tuna or salmon are a possibility as well as other sliced meats like pastrami or similar

Bumbags Sun 18-Aug-19 19:35:21

Honey
Jam

My ds is 17 and still struggles with cold snacks.

ChristinaMarlowe Sun 18-Aug-19 19:37:47

Cous cous or similar? You can get all the dried flavoured ones in a packet that takes 3 mins and then let it go cold and add veggies/apricots or whatever to that. Same with pasta but obviously smaller portions (particularly with white pasta and they don't recommend too much whole grain pasta or bread for young children).

LITTLEGEEK Sun 18-Aug-19 19:44:05

Some great ideas to try there. Thanks everyone smile

MeMeMeYou Sun 18-Aug-19 19:47:02

My daughter doesn't like sandwiches at all which is tricky esp for getting protein in her (at home she has nuts but obv a no no for school). She has cheese straws, she likes the rolls they sell in the bakery at sainsburys that are cheese and tomato (could be made at home probably, altho I haven't tried - sort of pinwheel roll things), cold pizza. She also likes if I get a square of puff pastry and put passata and grated mozzarella on and bake. Cold pasta.

She likes a plain bread roll. Sometimes I put in grated cheese on the side and she eats it separately. Eats raw crunchy veg on the side every day. Piece of fruit, packet of crisps or twiglets.

I reconcile that when she gets home and has a hot meal she has a good portion of protein then. She likes cooked dinners with meat or cheese in them (won't eat fish, though).

meow1989 Sun 18-Aug-19 19:47:11

Ds is much younger but I've enjoyed sharing stealing banana blender pancakes sandwiched with cashew butter... they dont take very long to make and are filling.

SomeInternetUser Sun 18-Aug-19 19:47:22

Grated carrot with hummus makes a nice sandwich spread.

fruitpastille Sun 18-Aug-19 19:48:44

Mine is funny about sandwiches but will have bread and butter and separate cheese/houmous/cold meat/ boiled egg in a little tub. Sometimes I do cold pasta pesto or pizza slice.

Grasspigeons Sun 18-Aug-19 19:48:49

Prawns, tuna philly, meatpaste, pesto

AtleastitsnotMonday Sun 18-Aug-19 20:37:03

If he will eat bread and butter let him have it. I’d write a list of every protein type you can think of and let him pick. But remember the protein doesn’t have to go in the sandwich, dips like humous and cream cheese, falafel, frittata, quiche.

AtleastitsnotMonday Sun 18-Aug-19 20:39:14

Also yoghurt, rice pudding, custard

TheWoollybacksWife Sun 18-Aug-19 20:44:29

Sausage rolls
Spanish omelette wedges
Spring rolls
Samosas
Wraps
Pasta or rice salad

healthylifestylee Sun 18-Aug-19 20:49:30

Brioche bread with any filling or none
Are they allowed nuts and seeds
Fruit and dried fruit
Maybe take him to the shop to choose something as much as it's more hassle maybe if you popped into a co op and he picked a filling he wants to try?
They do a smoked sausage which is in a green packet but I can't think of the brand name which is lovely on its own, in a sandwich or in a sandwich with cream cheese

A mild cheese spread like dairy Lee - this instead of butter with ham may shake things up

Honey
Jam
Nutella once a week so you only have 4 other days to try and find something

Good luck op - I was a fussy child but grew out of it x

TooMinty Sun 18-Aug-19 21:10:41

Tuna mayo with sweet corn mixed in?

Possiblynotever Sun 18-Aug-19 22:02:31

I have a teenager and I give her soup in a thermos and either a wedge of omelette, or cheese, nuts ( but we have no restrictions).
I also make protein balls - in a food blender half dates and half peanuts. Quite yummy and you ca batch them.

TooMinty Sun 18-Aug-19 22:47:05

Oh yeah, what about falafels or Spanish omelette instead of sandwiches? Or cous cous, roasted veg and halloumi?

givemushypeasachance Mon 19-Aug-19 14:37:43

Is he okay with egg in quiche form, because you can make mini crustless quiches easily by putting fillings in a bun tray and topping up with beaten egg then sticking in the oven till the egg is cooked through - things like tuna and sweetcorn, chicken and peppers, any sort of protein/veg combo that sounds tasty.

Savoury muffins - again any sort of fillings combos chucked into a basic savoury muffin mix. They freeze well. Pizza muffins are my go-to but there are loads of recipes out there.

Seconding the falafel suggestions. Cold pasta/cous cous/bean salads. Small pasties/pies/sausage rolls? Selections of crackers and picky bits.

LITTLEGEEK Mon 19-Aug-19 16:29:37

Loads of great ideas here, thanks. Think hes going to look forward to trying all these

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »