Talk

Advanced search

Give me your plum, pear and apple recipes

(16 Posts)
SleeplessinEastSussex Sun 18-Aug-19 14:25:53

We have moved into a house with plum, apple and pear trees and I am keen to start making something from them - jam, chutney, cakes, crumbles. Please give me your best recipes.

Raera Sun 18-Aug-19 17:53:16

I don't really do desserts.
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/230604/fruity-pork-steaks
That recipe is lovely
Apple sauce freezes really well

Raera Sun 18-Aug-19 17:58:04

I made this a couple of years ago, but not sure if cranberries are available all year round.
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8028/apple-and-cranberry-chutney

BrightYellowDaffodil Sun 18-Aug-19 18:03:46

Waitrose have a couple of plum recipes I've got my eye on (got a heap of plums looking for a purpose!):

www.waitrose.com/content/waitrose/en/home/recipes/recipe_directory/p/plum-custard-loafcake.html

www.waitrose.com/content/waitrose/en/home/recipes/recipe_directory/p/plum-ketchup.html

I've also made plum jam (River Cottage's recipes are good, I also recommend their Preserves book), and pear and date chutney (think that was a Waitrose recipe too).

BrightYellowDaffodil Sun 18-Aug-19 18:05:12

A helpful hint for making chutneys - don't use malt vinegar (or if you do, only use Sarsons). I've wrecked batches of chutney by making them with malt vinegar that was too harsh a flavour. For preference I use white wine or cider vinegar smile

WhatWouldJohnSay Sun 18-Aug-19 18:07:56

My mum did pears wrapped in prosciutto drizzled in balsamic and cooked in the oven for 20 mins at dinner yday. They were fab

BuzzShitbagBobbly Sun 18-Aug-19 18:11:07

My mum makes a fab plum and almond tart thing. I don't have the recipe but you should be able to find one easy enough - and adapt with other fruits too!

I'll be over next weekend to sample grin

Mountian Sun 18-Aug-19 18:13:35

Plum Vodka

Pear Vodka

Apple Vodka

grin

RezCowgirl Sun 18-Aug-19 18:14:30

Fill a jar with plums add half as much sugar and top up with cheap vodka. Leave it in a dark cupboard till Christmas 2020.

writersbeenblocked Sun 18-Aug-19 18:18:56

Dorset Apple Cake

delilahbucket Sun 18-Aug-19 18:19:11

All mix very well with Aldi gin 😁. We got some big glass jars from IKEA to put it all in, with sugar, and leave for several months. Do it now and it should be ready for Christmas. Very nice to drink neat and chilled, or with tonic.

PigeonofDoom Sun 18-Aug-19 18:29:21

Plums and apples are great in cobbler, either on their own or combined. If they’re ripe then I just peel and slice (apples) or stone and halve (plums) them and put them in a flat bottomed dish with the cobbler on top.
www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/plum-apple-cobbler%3famp

Pears go really well with ginger. I make a pudding similar to this:
nadialim.com/recipe/pear-gingerbread-upside-cake/

If you want to go really fancy then this this clafoutis recipe is the best pear recipe I’ve ever made. It is a faff though
www.flickr.com/photos/nezkapix/26419928041

Pears also go well with chocolate eg poire belle helene, or add chopped, poached pears to a chocolate roulade.
Or this pear and chocolate crumble
www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/oct/30/nigel-slater-chocolate-recipes-for-halloween

WelshMammaofaSlovak Sun 18-Aug-19 20:39:06

I make this cake but I put any fruit that I have in the top but my DH liked the version I made with cores peeled apples the best. I don't usually have buttermilk so I use ordinary full-fat milk with a squeeze of lemon juice (the type you get in a bottle or fresh - both work) and it works really well. It is a recipe that has never not worked and is a brilliant light lemony fruity cake!

TheSandgroper Mon 19-Aug-19 02:10:18

Poach plums in a light sugar syrup. Put them into a pretty dish, top with meringue and bake until lightly golden. As you put your serving spoon in, pink syrup spills out. So, so pretty.

managedmis Mon 19-Aug-19 02:13:09

Apple compote.

Peel and core apples, chop and simmer with a splash of water and maybe some honey. Cook till apples break down. Serve with yogurt, on ice cream, in smooties or on pork chops.

4merlyknownasSHD Mon 19-Aug-19 09:16:44

Pear and Almond flan/tart
Apple Tarte Tatin
Plum Tarte Tatin (halve the plums, take out the stone and put a bit of marzipan in the hole). Delicious!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »