Talk

Advanced search

What would add flavour to this?

(22 Posts)
MeredithGrey1 Mon 12-Aug-19 19:44:30

I found a new recipe online for a pasta sauce made from butternut squash. It’s a bit of red onion, garlic and butternut squash cooked with chicken stock, sage and thyme, then put in the food processor with a bit of milk to make a smooth sauce. I also then added a bit of bacon and served with pasta and a handful of spinach.
Perhaps it just needs more onion or garlic but it was a bit tasteless, but definitely had potential as it was a lovely creamy sauce. What could I add to make it tastier? Maybe mushrooms fried with the bacon at the end perhaps? I’m a relatively good cook but only from recipes, I’m not very good at coming up with additions/changes to recipes.

Peanutbuttericecream Mon 12-Aug-19 19:47:14

More onion, a fresh red chilli, some grated ginger salt and black pepper. Mushrooms won't add much in the way of flavour.

MeredithGrey1 Mon 12-Aug-19 19:48:57

Ooh chilli that’s a good idea! Will definitely try that, thanks.

moreismore Mon 12-Aug-19 19:51:47

I would add more onion and garlic and take time (if you didn’t already, sorry!) to really let them caremelise at the start too.

moreismore Mon 12-Aug-19 19:52:45

Maybe also reduce for a while after you add the stock (and be sure to use best quality stock you can)

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Mon 12-Aug-19 19:53:18

Chilli flakes
Mushrooms sound good too and would give it more texture

PrincessSarene Mon 12-Aug-19 19:58:45

Salt? I’ve found with a few things that if they taste a bit “flat” but I can’t put my finger on what’s missing, then usually a decent pinch of salt will really help.

RockingMyFiftiesNot Mon 12-Aug-19 20:16:34

Another vote for chillii. I also think cumin goes well with butternut squash. Roasting the squash first would also intensify the flavour, but is a bit more faff.

MoMandaS Mon 12-Aug-19 20:20:10

Lemon or lime juice.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Mon 12-Aug-19 20:21:29

Nutmeg. Lovely with all squashes...

tryingtobebetterallthetime Mon 12-Aug-19 21:29:26

You could try some allspice. Even just putting a couple in while it is cooking and taking them out will add some flavor. Nutmeg also might work.

yearinyearout Mon 12-Aug-19 21:32:29

I would just add more onion and garlic and as PP said let them caramelise. Did you roast the squash? That helps with the flavour too. Was your stock strong enough (I know plenty of people who think one oxo makes a pint of stock when it should be three)

Isthebigwomanhere Mon 12-Aug-19 21:34:43

Onion
Garlic
Chilli
Wine
Extra sage
Grate some Parmesan into it

Onesailwait Mon 12-Aug-19 22:21:45

I make a lot of squash soup and I find it because it's so creamy and slightly sweet it carries spice really well. Cumin, paprika, chiles always a pinch of nutmeg

Atalune Mon 12-Aug-19 22:23:47

Nutmeg
Black pepper
Salt

roasting the butternut before hand with a rub of garlic and some Chill flakes too

EugenesAxe Mon 12-Aug-19 22:30:58

I’d add more salt/stock but support it with a tin of, something like, haricot beans.

Agree too with roasting squash and adding cumin and more garlic.

cdtaylornats Mon 12-Aug-19 23:27:27

Tablespoon or two of Pesto

Cumin is good a nice warm spice without chilli heat.

Instead of onions use chives

Mskatonic Mon 12-Aug-19 23:30:01

You need some acidity! White wine vinegar or lemon juice sound like they’d complement the flavours well.

PARunnerGirl Mon 12-Aug-19 23:40:14

I think with sauces and soups using butternut squash you really have to roast it first to get the best flavour. I cube it onto a baking tray drizzle it with olive oil, honey, chilli flakes and salt and pepper. Roast until the edges are slightly charred.

Footle Wed 14-Aug-19 07:26:51

Or in a frying pan. It needs to be at least partly cooked before it comes into contact with liquid.

edgeofheaven Wed 14-Aug-19 07:29:52

Parmesan cheese and something acidic like lemon or wine.

Crissy83 Wed 14-Aug-19 07:46:50

Black pepper and a good handful of grated Parmesan

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »