Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What starter can I do to precede fresh tuna done with ginger & garlic, with noodles and stir-fry veg?

(18 Posts)
HuwEdwards Fri 03-Aug-07 17:31:40

Am clean out of ideas!

mckenzie Fri 03-Aug-07 17:36:06

how about a toasted bread with goats cheese and sun dried tomato?

HuwEdwards Fri 03-Aug-07 17:38:47

that sounds lovely (and thankyou) - is it not sort of at odds in that it's more mediterranean? or does that not matter?

lilolilmanchester Fri 03-Aug-07 17:40:52

Some kind of salad? Never used to do them cos wsa a bit of an entertaining snob and felt I had to actually make stuff. Had to do a salad one time (won't bore you with reasons why) and it went down really well and was so easy for me. Either a Greek salad, or just make up your own (my last one was salad leaves, sun dried tomatoes, with hot mushrooms and bacon).

Or something simple like parma ham and melon - tuna is quite rich isn't it so you probably want a refreshing simple starter.

OR do canapes to have with drinks rather than a sit-down starter.

meandmy Fri 03-Aug-07 17:42:09

my mil does melon, melon an parma ham etc

FluffyMummy123 Fri 03-Aug-07 17:42:43

Message withdrawn

WideWebWitch Fri 03-Aug-07 17:44:09

decent bread with balsamic vinegar and olive oil

or bruschetta

orangina Fri 03-Aug-07 17:53:27

mango salad with lime? in keeping with the asian theme?

legalalien Fri 03-Aug-07 17:53:34

scallops with some sort of lime / chilli combo would be nice, but no idea about availability of scallops around the UK or where you are!

heifer Fri 03-Aug-07 17:55:06

how about this

I think I would go with oriental starter tbh.

or not have a starter but have some side dishes.

Carmenere Fri 03-Aug-07 17:55:44

Simply grilled prawns with chilli and lime butter.

greensleeves Fri 03-Aug-07 17:56:07

miniature spring rolls

I made made these yesterday and they were gone within seconds, everyone likes them

HuwEdwards Fri 03-Aug-07 18:06:42

Oooh thanks everyone - BF loves asparagus. Alternatively I have mango in - BUT I also have prawns.

You are all fab - thankyou. I will peruse later over a glass of plonk and make my mind up!

HuwEdwards Fri 03-Aug-07 18:07:14

Greeny - d'you have a link to the spring roll recipe - is it 'ard?

lilolilmanchester Fri 03-Aug-07 18:16:27

what about mango AND prawns, with an asian style dressing?

greensleeves Fri 03-Aug-07 18:20:04

I don't have a recipe as such, I make things up as I go along - but I can tell you how I made mine

chop one medium carrot into thin juliennes about an inch long
chop a small onion fairly finely
crush one small garlic clove
chop a chunk of root ginger (about the size of a lego brick)finely
finely chop half a green pepper
zest half a lime
take a large handful of beansprouts and chop them up a bit
a cupful of peas
a cupful of sweetcorn
dissolve 1 vegetable stock cube in a cup (normal mug) of water and add a pinch of dried basil
chop half a small red chilli (minus the seeds) OR add a pinch of chilli powder

Warm up a good generous splash of olive oil until it's hot and runny but not smoking

gently fry all the vegetables with the garlic and ginger and chilli, until the carrots are tender and very slightly browning

then add the stock with the juice of half a lime and the lime zest

stir well until bubbling

dissolve a teaspoon of cornflour in an inch of COLD water in a cup

pour it in, stirring vigorously until the mixture is viscous

add a good pinch of black pepper and mix in

The take a packet of ready rolled filo pastry and cut the sheets in half

take one half-sheet, put a good spoonful (I use a heaped soup spoon) of mixture in the middle and spread it in a line parallel with the short sides of the sheet, leaving a few cm clearance at either end

roll the filo over and pinch together (not too tightly or they will burst in the oven), roll over and over until you have a seam - brush the edge with clarified butter (which you will have melted in a milk-pan and skimmed) and seal. Then fold the two ends in like a birthday present, onto the same side as the join, and brush with butter to make them stick.

then turn the spring roll over and transfer to a baking sheet, then spread the top with clarified butter.

repeat until all the mixture has been used

bake for about half an hour or until browning and crispy on top (gas mark 5)

pistachio Fri 03-Aug-07 18:25:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HuwEdwards Fri 03-Aug-07 19:36:34

Greeny - thanks so much for typing that all out - appreciate it. I will however try it out on House Huw first <<<cowardly emoticon>>>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now