Talk

Advanced search

Chilli con carne - which spices do you use?

(54 Posts)
runner2 Sun 11-Aug-19 09:51:09

I've tried lots of recipes but the end result never tastes as good as when I've had it in restaurants. For 500g minced beef, which spices should I use and in what quantities for the most authentic flavour?

ineedaholidaynow Sun 11-Aug-19 09:54:44

I use:
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 11-Aug-19 11:50:37

I use chilli flakes and cumin. I might put in cocoa powder too if I have any and yes, I know that's not a spice smile

DH chucks in some chipotle paste if he makes it.

ReasonedCamper Sun 11-Aug-19 12:02:38

I tsp cocoa powder
2tsp cumin
1 tsp chilli
Salt

TheQueef Sun 11-Aug-19 12:14:47

Cumin, garlic granules, chilli flakex, tin of mixed beans and a small bar of dark chocolate.

TheQueef Sun 11-Aug-19 12:15:13

And a tin of blitzed toms.

rbe78 Sun 11-Aug-19 12:27:31

Smoked paprika is a must, really adds that deep smokey chilli taste imo.

I sweat red onions and a clove of garlic with chopped fresh chilli (usually one red, one green, but sometimes just half a green and no red if spice-averse children are eating it).

Then brown mince and add spices:
1-2tbsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp ground coriander
1-2 tsp cumin

Add tinned toms, bring to boil. Add pinch of cinnamon/allspice and 1tsp cocoa powder. Sometimes a crumbled up beef oxo cube.

Cover, simmer for at least half an hour, uncover, add kidney beans and simmer til thick. Longer it cooks the better, even tastier if made the day before and reheated.

BelindasGleeTeam Sun 11-Aug-19 12:30:27

Chilli
Smoked paprika
Cumin
Marjoram
Garlic

BelindasGleeTeam Sun 11-Aug-19 12:31:02

Oh and a tablespoon of cocoa powder

orangeshoebox Sun 11-Aug-19 12:33:11

spices
- paprika 1 tablespoon
- smoked paprika 1 teaspoon
- cumin half a teaspoon
- oregano 1 teaspoon
- chayenne pepper 1 teaspoon
- 1 stock cube or 1teaspoon stock powder
- 1 fresh chilly sliced in half and seat taken out (family doesn't like it very hot

brown mince and onion. add spices & herbs. add garlic. add grated carrots. add tinned toms. simmer for one hour or so. add beans and chopped bell peppers.
serve with baked potatos.

AwdBovril Sun 11-Aug-19 12:38:23

Chilli paste, cumin, coriander, garlic, & a pinch of thyme. And definitely make it the day before if possible.

I may try cocoa powder next time.

Bluesheep8 Mon 12-Aug-19 16:46:01

I do a variation of what's already been mentioned. I've recently discovered chipotle paste though - try that

AltheaVestr1t Mon 12-Aug-19 16:47:12

Oregano, cumin, smoked paprika and lots of garlic.

user1484 Mon 12-Aug-19 17:00:05

Don’t use Cocoa Powder, but I use instant coffee granules.
Also, some chilli flakes, I like it spicy.
Like someone said, if you make it the day before, it will be much tastier (same goes for bolognese sauce)

Utini Mon 12-Aug-19 17:02:32

Cumin, paprika, chilli powder, garlic, oregano, and a bit of dark chocolate. I follow this recipe:

www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3228/chilli-con-carne%3famp

m0jit0 Mon 12-Aug-19 17:11:30

I use fresh chilli, cumin and cayenne

PickAChew Mon 12-Aug-19 17:15:08

Chilli, smoked paprika and cumin. Sometimes cinnamon, if I'm making a lamb chilli.

Herbs, often oregano and/or thyme and finished with coriander.

Pretendapony Mon 12-Aug-19 18:09:00

I like the hairy bikers chilli but I also add baked beans.

MsMightyTitanAndHerTroubadours Mon 12-Aug-19 18:31:12

I use lots of smoked paprika, cumin, cinnamon and some chili flakes, and I often add in a sprig of rosemary or thyme

we don't like it super hot so when I add the chilli I don't cut it up, I just slit it and hurl it in whole.

Also cocoa is good for getting good depth of flavour

Often use beer or wine instead of stock

ALWAYS sweat the onions and garlic until they are soft, and ALWAYS sear the mince, I get my heavy frying pan as hot as hell and drop in the mince, make it flat and then wait until it's nicely browned, flip it over for the other side to do and then break it up and add it to the onions

Also I put all the ground spices in with the onions and a little extra butter just to cook them off. before the meat goes in,

Swish the stock/beer/wine into the pan that you seared the meat in and all the bits will come up and then tip those into the meat mix.

I also prefer black beans and canellinni or pinto beans. Kidney beans are not my favourite.

Slow cook and leave overnight ideally.

FamilyOfAliens Mon 12-Aug-19 18:33:09

I was told by a chef that the authentic herbs and spices are chilli (flakes, powder or paste), cumin and oregano.

Ellabella989 Mon 12-Aug-19 18:33:12

Spices - Cumin & Paprika
Herbs - Coriander

Itsallpointless Mon 12-Aug-19 18:39:54

I put some cinnamon and have also chucked in some star anise. The latter was in a Heston recipe and it was delicious!

BikeRunSki Mon 12-Aug-19 18:43:25

Cumin
Garlic
Root ginger
Chilli
Cocoa powder or dark choc

Parkmama Mon 12-Aug-19 18:43:59

All of the above and celery salt x

GooodMythicalMorning Mon 12-Aug-19 18:44:57

Just chilli powder!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »