Talk

Advanced search

Your favourite sauce to go with duck breast please?

(8 Posts)
Raera Sat 10-Aug-19 13:24:07

As above really, don't fancy orange and ones I've seen look very sweet.
Thanks in advance of your help and for anyone interested Morrisons have Gressingham duck breasts at £4 for 2 currently (usually £6)

OP’s posts: |
bellinique Sat 10-Aug-19 13:34:12

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/duckbreastwithredcur_67442

I’ve done this one a few times and it’s always gone down well. The redcurrant jelly does add sweetness so if you want to avoid that you might be better using actual redcurrants. Or you could maybe add a bit more balsamic vinegar to cut through the sweetness.

Mmm very jealous you’re having duck!

FurryDogMother Sat 10-Aug-19 13:38:06

Blueberries go surprisingly well with duck. When I'm low-carbing, I just put some in a pan with a tiny amount of water, and cook them down to a 'mush' - which I'd probably push through a strainer if serving other people, but when it's just me, the mush works fine by itself! You need some astringency to cut through the fattiness of duck, but I agree that orange can be too sweet.

myrtleWilson Sat 10-Aug-19 13:38:21

blueberry - it was a Claudia Roden recipe - delicious!

newtb Sun 11-Aug-19 12:11:27

Michel Roux's red wine sauce

purplecorkheart Sun 11-Aug-19 12:26:43

Red wine sauce

Raera Sun 11-Aug-19 12:31:09

Thanks all.
The redcurrant one looked interesting so did a search on duck and redcurrants and found this:
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2841/duck-breasts-with-redcurrant-and-onion-relish
Probably not as sweet and I get leftover relish for other things. Just going to the shops for redcurrants

OP’s posts: |
RockingMyFiftiesNot Mon 12-Aug-19 20:29:05

Plum sauce is lovely with duck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »