Talk

Advanced search

Simple dishes that feel a bit special/indulgent

(26 Posts)
Stefoscope Tue 06-Aug-19 12:44:18

Bonus points if they're quick to make and reasonably healthy. I'm looking to mix things up a bit as I've been mostly eating spicy veggie dishes with either rice or pasta for a while now. I'm stopping drinking alcohol for a little while, so on a stressful work day, I would like to retrain my brain to look forward to eating tasty home cooked dishes rather than my usual tipple. The only foods I'm not keen on are olives, aubergine, courgette and marrow. Savoury and sweet suggestions welcome and I'm not too fussed whether they're veggie or meat.

OP’s posts: |
sleepismysuperpower1 Tue 06-Aug-19 12:46:29

hunters chicken is my usual go to for something like this, with salad or potato wedges smile

user1494670108 Tue 06-Aug-19 12:53:28

Chicken breast stuffed with something - roast peppers, chorizo, soft cheese of any type, sun dried tomatoes - and wrapped in prosciutto.
Cod with a herb sauce - whizz a few herbs with some vinegar, oil or crepe France, usually with sweet potato wedges
Roast chicken dinner

whatausername Tue 06-Aug-19 13:06:47

Proscuitto-wrapped stuffed chicken is so simple yet delicious

BuzzShitbagBobbly Tue 06-Aug-19 13:12:31

I was going to say a really nice Dauphinoise Potatoes but that's not exactly healthy.

Alternatively how about a good risotto with fresh peas, broad beans and asparagus?

Lastly, a really good steak and chips. Good bit of fat along the meat to add flavour. McCain Gastro Chips are pretty good.

MotherForkinShirtBalls Tue 06-Aug-19 16:31:44

Pasta with smoked salmon in a creamy sauce. Green veg (broccoli, peas, green beans) on the side and lots of parmeasan cheese <licks lips>

AtleastitsnotMonday Tue 06-Aug-19 17:24:26

Do you eat fish? Either tuna steak or sea bass. Cooked simply with a spice rub or simple fresh herby dressing.
Or there’s a really nice recipe for crab, cod and watercress fishcakes on the waitrose website.

Roussette Tue 06-Aug-19 17:30:27

Salmon, put in tin foil with maple syrup and dark soy sauce. Bake in oven for 15 mins, serve with couscous and pak choi.

ParrotsForLife Tue 06-Aug-19 17:31:51

Cheesy pesto chicken.
Two chicken breasts tucked into a smallish oven dish, smothered in green pesto, topped with cheese and baked in the oven. I usually serve it with salad and rice.

BillieEilish Tue 06-Aug-19 17:37:15

I'd also wrap salmon in a foil parcel with a splash of wine or as you're not drinking/herbs/oliva oil/spinach/cherry toms. 15 mins. Done, so easy.

SO healthy, serve with potato salad/salad. Yum

EgremontRusset Tue 06-Aug-19 17:52:26

Green peach and mint salad
Home made hummus with harissa

SallyWD Tue 06-Aug-19 17:57:25

Roast some mushrooms and peppers, fry some halloumi, spread some hummus on to a tortilla wrap, put the veg and halloumi on the wrap, fold it up and enjoy!

PrincessSarene Tue 06-Aug-19 18:01:08

Proper carbonara! The BBC Good Food recipe is actually very close to how it’s made in Italy (and approved by Italians I know!). Serve with a green side salad for some fresh veg intake. Delicious 😋

TheDuchessofDukeStreet Tue 06-Aug-19 18:01:58

A Welsh rabbit and salad.

FamilyOfAliens Tue 06-Aug-19 18:03:38

Spaghetti with garlic, red chilli and flat leaf parsley.

Paddyodoors Tue 06-Aug-19 18:05:11

Fresh bagels, not toasted, bit of cream cheese, smoked salmon, squeeze of lemon, black pepper.

My mouth is watering as I write this 🤤

Lovemenorca Tue 06-Aug-19 18:05:15

A bowl of steamed Brussel sprouts mixed with marmite

I’d live on it given half the chance

BillieEilish Tue 06-Aug-19 18:06:40

My fave FamilyOfAliens

I put a bit of parmesan too!

Sadik Tue 06-Aug-19 18:26:13

DD has the Green Roasting Tin book and there's lots of tasty but easy things in there. Coincidentally she's making this one tonight which is one of my favourites smile

LadyMonicaBaddingham Tue 06-Aug-19 18:36:55

Good old macaroni cheese, but stir some butter-softened sliced leeks and chopped crispy bacon into the cheese sauce. Top with crushed Ritz crackers and a bit of grated cheese and blitz under the grill. Piss easy and bloody amazing.

PorridgeLove Tue 06-Aug-19 19:42:06

Anything with fancy mushrooms or truffle oil. Chanterelles, porcini, oyster mushrooms etc. Polenta with mushroom ragout, crepes filled with mushrooms. Goat or sheep cheese on salad or added to the above mentioned dishes. Strawberries with roasted flaked almonds and good vanilla ice cream. Mango avocado salsa on meat, fish or tofu.

Stefoscope Thu 08-Aug-19 11:41:45

Yum, all of these sound great, thanks for the suggestions. I do love fish, and haven't cooked any recently think that's going on the menu for next week. Salad I like, but tend to buy with good intentions but forget about, so maybe finding a good low fat ish dressing is the answer.

OP’s posts: |
ALittleBitAlexis Thu 08-Aug-19 11:45:45

John Whaite's Perfect Plates in 5 Ingredients is a great book for this kind of dish.

I really love his sticky sesame chicken: https://www.itv.com/lorraine/food/john-whaite-sticky-sesame-chicken

kshaw Thu 08-Aug-19 11:53:13

@buzzshitbag I was going to say the same about douphinoise . Not healthy but definitely indulgent and easy!

FamilyOfAliens Thu 08-Aug-19 15:24:42

I put a bit of parmesan too!

I put in more than a bit blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »