Talk

Advanced search

Home grown blackberries

(10 Posts)
Saharasunset Sun 04-Aug-19 15:27:06

Hi,

I have a blackerry bush in my garden and this year with the weather being good yet again we have grown some lovely blackberries. But what can I do with them now?

In recent years we've just eaten them as they are or put them into a crumble but I'd quite like to try something new. Is jam easy to make? Or could I make something else from them?

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
newtb Sun 04-Aug-19 15:29:52

You can make jam with them, but they're low in pectin,. So, to set you either need to add bottled pectin or mix with a high pectin fruit lika apples.

Reallybadidea Sun 04-Aug-19 15:33:16

Blackberry jam is easy but a bit seed-y. Jelly is nice but a bit more fiddly. Blackberry gin would be nice I think.

TrumpInflatableChased Sun 04-Aug-19 17:33:39

Apple and blackberry jelly is really nice, the apple makes it set and you strain it through r muslin so there’s no pips.

Blackberry and apple cake is lovely.

Make blackberry gin....like sole gin but use blackberry.

nocoolnamesleft Sun 04-Aug-19 17:47:34

Ice cream. My mum makes a blackberry ice cream that is to die for.

Saharasunset Sun 04-Aug-19 18:52:45

I didn't even know what pectin was or that it was needed for jam until this so thank you - you learn something new every day

I'm really intrigued by the blackberry gin so I'm going to look more into it! Is it easy to make?

OP’s posts: |
242Mummy Mon 05-Aug-19 16:14:22

I used this recipe last year and the blackberry jam was delicious www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/711653/summer-berry-jam

Be careful not to boil too long as it can set too hard - I learnt from experience!

If you'd like to bake, these blackberry and coconut squares are very good www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/12971/blackberry-and-coconut-squares

FogCutter Mon 05-Aug-19 16:17:51

Blackberry gin?

TrumpInflatableChased Mon 05-Aug-19 18:01:02

www.womanandhome.com/recipes/blackberry-gin-recipe/

theneverendinglaundry Tue 06-Aug-19 13:50:37

You can get sugar with added pectin.

If you sieve it all then you can make a lovely seedless jam. Add elderberries too if you can!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »