Talk

Advanced search

What to do with sour milk?

(16 Posts)
whojamaflip Thu 01-Aug-19 13:01:48

So a combination of dc being away for a few days and me forgetting to cut the milk delivery back has resulted in a glut of sour milk 😳

It's just on the turn but not separated yet and I really don't want to dump it down the sink.

So far this morning I've made 4 dozen scones, 2 buttermilk ginger cakes and 3 buttermilk chocolate cakes but I've still got 3pints to deal with - any ideas for recipes which will use up a fair bit of milk?

Thinking of making a huge batch of white sauce - would it freeze ok? Or would it be better to use it for a pasta bake and freeze that?

Any suggestions welcome.

julie81 Thu 01-Aug-19 13:11:39

Pancakes are nice with buttermilk. Also soaking chicken to tenderise then making nuggetts or something similar. A loaf of bread would also be nice.

FlukeSkyeRunner Thu 01-Aug-19 16:02:53

Make batches of cheese sauce to freeze. Or go the whole hog and make lasagnes to freeze. Rice pudding freezes well. Custard?

IHaveBrilloHair Thu 01-Aug-19 16:05:08

American biscuits.

FawnDrench Thu 01-Aug-19 18:38:24

Creamy-type soups
Cottage cheese
Yorkshire puds then freeze?

whojamaflip Thu 01-Aug-19 18:43:56

I'd forgotten about rice pudding! Used 2 pints to make that and will serve it later with raspberries - dc are going to wonder what's up getting a proper pudding in the middle of the week!

Also made a batch of cookies and I've cheese sauce cooling on the side to use for lasagne tomorrow.

Thanks all thanks

MotherForkinShirtBalls Thu 01-Aug-19 18:50:15

Soda bread. You've just reminded me to make my own.

gowgow Thu 01-Aug-19 19:18:13

What about when it's separated? Any suggestions, please?
Savoury, I avoid sweet things.

I hate throwing anything away, but we use very little milk & it regularly goes off

whojamaflip Thu 01-Aug-19 20:55:58

Soda bread!!! How on earth did I forget about that?? Bugger no milk left now 🙁 -and me a northern Irish lass born and bred- blush

MotherForkinShirtBalls Thu 01-Aug-19 21:09:02

I'm scarlet for ya, who.

gowgow, could you use it yo make yoghurt or cream cheese? Note, I've never made either, so I may be off there!

autumneve Sat 03-Aug-19 18:34:27

This is amazing! I had no idea you could still use soured milk!!!

Wondering if it's ok to still use if it's turning green

Bluesheep8 Sun 04-Aug-19 10:20:34

Oh I want my Mammy's homemade soda bread now!

LakeFlyPie Sat 10-Aug-19 12:21:37

Isn't sour milk (because it's old) different to soured milk (due to adding lemon juice etc)?

newtb Mon 12-Aug-19 11:12:09

Strain through muslin and add seasoning - soft cheese

autumneve Wed 14-Aug-19 10:20:26

Flamin heck. I'm not quite sure what to think of this thread.

Really?

Aussiesaff Mon 19-Aug-19 17:02:19

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »