Talk

Advanced search

Functional nutrition for health

(6 Posts)
sunburntfizz Fri 26-Jul-19 12:51:08

I am trying to read a bit more about functional nutrition and eating wel for good health. I have recently started muesli for breakfast with chia seeds and coconut sugar and loving it.

I am generally a healthy eater but trying to learn about and Incorporate good food into every day routines. There is a lot out there in the media about gut health, clean eating,cutting out sugar etc

Never sure where to post this so I was wondering if anybody could post ideas/suggestions of things they incorporate into their routines around food that helps promote health and energy.

OP’s posts: |
sunburntfizz Fri 26-Jul-19 12:56:41

I should also add looking to add more and a variety of vegetables. We don't eat enough veggies and tends to rotate around the usual ones - peppers, mushrooms, onions, sweetcorn, carrots,broccoli.

OP’s posts: |
Papayalady Fri 26-Jul-19 13:46:02

Hi there. I'm always trying to improve my nutrition. Would you be able to visit a nutritional therapist a couple of times to get their input into what you should include in your diet? If you're trying to address a specific issue it's be very informative.
I grow my own veggies and feel better for it. Have you tried it? It's organically grown and is much better quality than shop-bought stuff. There's something very satisfying about harvesting the food and eating it the same day. So it's good for all round wellbeing.
I only eat granary bread and cut it out now and then to help with gut health and digestion. I also take probiotics to keep my gut and immunity healthy.
Stress impacts digestion and immunity so I've tried to find ways of dealing with that to help my nutrition too 😊
I'm not convinced by clean eating. I need meat and some fat from dairy or else I feel unwell. It's not for everyone but as long as you're getting the right levels of nutrients it's up to you.

Myriade Fri 26-Jul-19 13:50:04

I would suggest too to go and see a functional medicine therapist/nutritionist.

The first step is about getting the right balance of food for YOU between carbs/protein/fats as well as plenty of vegetables.
And I’d avoid ANY pre-prepared food.

Blondie1984 Sat 27-Jul-19 02:11:00

Check out Rhiannon Lamberts book

Blondie1984 Sat 27-Jul-19 02:12:39

Also sugar is sugar - regardless of if it comes from coconut or sugar cane.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »