Talk

Advanced search

Yung chow fried Rice

(13 Posts)
Biglips Tue 31-Jul-07 12:28:23

my dp made a gorgeous yung chow fried rice at the weekend

He tried to make the egg bitty but its seems to disappeared into the rice and also it was just tiny abit dry...

hel please?

Biglips Tue 31-Jul-07 12:29:35

and also the red meat that is in it...what is exactly that? as its pork with red colouring around the edge

suzywong Tue 31-Jul-07 14:59:07

ah, that woudl be BBQ pork or "Char Sue" in Cantonese

the trick with the egg is to push the rice and veg to one side of the wok, break in the eggs and whisk them with a chopstick till they semi-congeal and then mix them in with the bulk rest

of course, you do know you must ALWAYS use day old cold rice and never freshly boiled, dont' you ?

Biglips Tue 31-Jul-07 17:41:32

why about the rice??

Biglips Tue 31-Jul-07 21:19:51

suzywong Wed 01-Aug-07 01:12:27

because the grains separate more easily than moist rice and therefore absorb the oil and flavours more readily.

arfishy Wed 01-Aug-07 01:17:25

SW - while you're here - how do you cook perfect rice? ('scuse hijack BigLips). Since I got scared of it I'm either ending up with crunchy or soggy.

suzywong Wed 01-Aug-07 09:14:51

get yourself to China Town and buy a rice cooker. End of Story

Sydney China Town tidbits:
1) Mr Wong says the best char sue noodles in the world are to be had there
2) David Bowie filmed the China Girl video there

ah....Syders.

arfishy Wed 01-Aug-07 11:52:46

Really? I always thought that would be a) cheating b) another excuse for some gratuitous gadget buying that I'm so prone to doing.

But, as you've instructed me to do so, then rice cooker it will be. Thank You!

Most interesting about China Town. You'd think that David Bowie would go to, well, China wouldn't you?

arfishy Wed 01-Aug-07 11:54:37

Actually, have had some excellent Yum Cha here. To do it right you have to have somebody who speaks the lingo with you or you end up with the deep fried chicken feet. [lesson learned emoticon]. Not a problem for you I suspect.

suzywong Wed 01-Aug-07 12:24:09

actually (and keep this hush hush) I really really don't like Chinese restaurant food. I sit lemon-lipped sipping OJ when mr Wong takes the Fragrant Boys to dim sum of a Saturday.

shudder at very mention of chicken's feet

arfishy Wed 01-Aug-07 13:08:45

Biglips Wed 01-Aug-07 22:29:13

thanks suzy x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now