Talk

Advanced search

How do you get a baby that by now should eat lumpy food, to eat lumpy food?

(8 Posts)
Sixofone Mon 30-Jul-07 18:37:32

Any suggestions welcome, need some help with dd (13 1/2 months) who won't eat anything lumpier than stage 2 consistency baby jar. (or home made food).

She will eat:
Custard
Fruit pots
Fromage frais and yoghurts
(all smooth)
Home made food provided that it's only got uniform soft lumps in
Peas, sweetcorn, Cheerios, mini carrot sticks
Cheese
Biscuits/ crackers
Nearly any fruit.

She won't eat
Meat, even minced unless really finely ground
Anything mixed consistency (.e.g risotto, spaghetti bolognese, mild curry).
Fish fingers, nuggets, sausages.

By now she should be eating pretty much the same as us, right? How do I get her from smooth lumps to 'normal' food? Any ideas would be very much appreciated! Tearing my hair out!

(P.S. She is small and we have to go to the paediatrician next week about her as she doesn't weigh much (19lbs last weigh in). So just leaving her to go hungry when she won't eat isn't an option).

littlelapin Mon 30-Jul-07 18:40:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sixofone Mon 30-Jul-07 18:44:59

LL, yes she will try to feed herself, I have to give her all my spare spoons to keep her occupied so I can shovel food in or she wouldn't eat anything! Some days I just give her finger foods, but she just won't eat enough (hence trip to the paediatrician).

I have tried making spag bol, chopping it up and putting it on her tray so she can finger feed it to herself but she will just spit it out or throw it . She'll eat things like cheese sticks but nothing which is mixed consistency, e.g my home made carrot rosti, anything on toast, sandwiches, home made baby quiches, etc.

FrayedKnot Mon 30-Jul-07 18:49:49

I think this is quite a common problem..

DS was the same, if I had to give him a jar of food, he woudl only have the 4 month+ ones, even up to about a year, and then just wouldn;t eat any of the 7+ plus ones ever.

I came to the conclusion that they are quite "lumps within a smooth puree" in consistency, which he hated.

I found DS got on better with progressively less mushed up home cooked food (he ate ALOT of casseroles)

I was still blending meat with him past a year, iirc, he just would not touch it otherwise.

But you know eventually they get the hang of it, so don;t worry, I would just keep going at her pace. She is eating lots of "whole" food, isn;t she?

Have you tried lentils? DS loves them.

mummymagic Mon 30-Jul-07 18:54:37

Aw, maybe just let her feed herself and don't worry if she doesn't seem to eat much.

I did do BLW (accidentally) and my dd will try anything now but often not so much. I have made a promise to myself not to stress out about it. I provide food (same as us since 7mths-ish- we just cook with no salt and I chop hers a bit) and we eat. we eat all together which helps I think. Some days she seems to hardly eat anything but she is healthy and thriving. So just keep trying and don't worry I reckon. Mine loves to take food from my plate and feed me. Also don't give up on foods just because she just plays, thats part of the learning process I think... mine went through a real throwing phase!

NannyL Mon 30-Jul-07 18:55:11

I wouldnt eat a 7 month jar either.... yuk!

maybe you can just pureey the food you are eating in a ini whizzer, and gradually whizz it less and less!

littlelapin Mon 30-Jul-07 18:56:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sixofone Mon 30-Jul-07 22:00:00

Fab, as always thank you, some great ideas to try! It sounds like this is normal behaviour then? I know that every baby has their 'thing' and hers is food, so perhaps I shouldn't worry, she won't be doing it when she's 18 will she!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now