Talk

Advanced search

Fussy/ refusing toddler on holiday - ideas needed

(15 Posts)
YukoandHiro Mon 15-Jul-19 20:21:51

I’m at my wits end with my picky 23 month old who’s never been into food unless it’s plain carbs or banana or Ella’s pouches.
She has allergies and I think it all stems from an original fear due to pain, and also she got rotavirus at a crucial stage of weaned which massively scared her about eating and set her back months.
Her diet is so limited even at home and she also has egg and dairy allergy.
Going on holiday next week (in the uk but at a family hotel) and I’m so worried about what she’ll eat/not eat. Does anyone have any tips for easy things to carry around on holiday? And does anyone else with a picky eater have ideas on go to nutritious meals?

TeethingBabyHelp Mon 15-Jul-19 20:32:31

Could you take a stash of Ella's pouches with you?

bathorshower Mon 15-Jul-19 20:47:47

DD was (and is) extremely picky, though at that age she mostly drank milk. How much milk can you get into your DD? As a bonus, it's nutritious. We used ready made toddler formula when we were out, so easy to carry. Though I don't know if there's milk suitable for your DD. Soy based formula?

What will your DD eat? Mine will eat things from most major food groups, so I just accept that she has meals which I wouldn't choose to eat, e.g. chicken nuggets, plain pasta and broccoli (the only veg she'll eat). She eats a lot of broccoli and strawberries (the only fruit she'll reliably eat, though she'll give bananas a go on a good day). Would the hotel prepare plain pasta for you?

My DD will eat Tesco brioche. We carry packs of those with us on holiday (still). Is there some form of easy to carry carb that your DD will eat (crackers, bread etc).? We also still have Ella's pouches (only the 4 month ones). As you can tell, you have my sympathy!

bobstersmum Mon 15-Jul-19 20:56:43

Dd is just 2 and still bf. She goes off and on food. Sometimes she just picks at food and spits most of it back out, and sometimes she eats loads. Obviously the times she isn't eating much she has lots of milk. I think you can only offer and encourage to be honest! She will eat eventually. Offer plenty of milk and easy things on holiday like sandwiches, fruit, bread sticks, yoghurt, and don't stress, do what ever works for you especially while on hols.

Iambouddica Mon 15-Jul-19 21:04:32

Will she eat chips? I know I’ll get flamed on here for suggesting it but potatoes are full of nutrition and loads of vitamin C. Chips aren’t normally ideal but little children need the fat ( vitamin A) for their development.

Does she still have formula? (I am frustrated for you about some of the suggestions above - milk, brioche, yoghurt etc when you have clearly said your DD has a dairy allergy!)

For a short time formula ( protein and vitamins) chips and banana would cover the basic food groups and be readily obtainable.

Then perhaps offer other foods as a bonus?

AtleastitsnotMonday Mon 15-Jul-19 23:08:27

Relax and enjoy your holiday. You will get by. Sometimes just a change of setting can prompt changes in behaviour. Is it bed breakfast and evening meal? Have you informed them of dds allergies? What does she usually have for breakfast? Do you plan to picnic at lunch?
Don’t be afraid to ask for what you know she’ll eat even it it means strange combos from random dishes.

TheSandgroper Tue 16-Jul-19 01:56:30

Does she eat pasta with puréed anything over it?

If you have a couple of safe recipes, perhaps a general email for the attention of the chef asking for assistance and having answers to questions prepared if you get an encouraging reply back.

MaverickSnoopy Tue 16-Jul-19 02:26:18

I feel your pain, I have a fussy toddler, although no allergies. My 9mo has dairy allergies so I can only imagine how complicated it is to balance allergies and fussiness. I can't wait!

We've just come back from holiday (caravan so had a fridge) and these are the easily portable things we took for our 9mo for snacks and bulking out meals.

Various Organix snacks
Rusks
Vegan crisps
Jelly pots
Ellas kitchen fruit pouches
Rice cakes
Crackers
Breadsticks

You could get some of those individual malt loaf bars (egg?). I'd also recommend doing picnic lunches and going to the supermarket and maybe getting some pasta pots or you could get some of those sachets of pasta that you add hot water to and then put in a tuppaware pot. You could take her to supermarket salad bar and let her choose (possibly too ambitious!).

I really wouldn't worry too much about nutrition while you're away. Pick your battles and just try and keep her full.

Call the hotel you're staying at and make sure you know what they serve. There's a good website called dylan and me, you'll find helpful lists of food and possibly some restaurant suggestions too.

bobstersmum Tue 16-Jul-19 17:01:30

@Iambouddica, why are frustrated about suggestions? I have a ds with dairy allergy, he has oat milk and soya yoghurt and most bread, op isn't stupid she knows to substitute the suggestions, ok brioche is probably off the menu but the rest aren't bad suggestions.

PaddingtonMare Tue 16-Jul-19 17:12:04

If you’re in the UK I’m sure you’ll be fine and can feed her pretty much the same. A good restaurant/kitchen will be cooking from scratch so should be able to help you out at no real effort.

Maybe you could make a ‘thing’ of everyone trying a bit of everyone else’s dinner - See of you can coax her in to trying a few more meals.

PaddingtonMare Tue 16-Jul-19 17:19:43

I’ve just remembered at my brother’s wedding we brought our own milk - which they put in the fridge for us and would put it out at breakfast for us (although they’d also bought some rice milk especially for us too).

YukoandHiro Tue 16-Jul-19 19:09:01

Thank you, some great ideas here I hadn't thought of. And of course if she exists on breadsticks then so be it!
The last week has been the worst ever, but she's been a bit ill too so maybe she's generally off her food.
I still breastfeed a 2-3 times a day so that's giving her some decent calories but I worry a lot about the range of vitamins and iron etc.
She gets ill a lot with colds etc, plus has allergies and eczema which isn't easy to control. I can't help but feel like her limited diet makes things worse and that's why she's getting ill all the time

Normandy144 Tue 16-Jul-19 19:43:33

Is it a buffet or menu at each meal? Assuming a buffet breakfast just give her a range of things to try amd don't worry. If she doesn't eat, she doesn't eat. Breakfast you could try things she will eat and things she won't. So maybe a plate with toast or muffins, some sausage or ham and then some fruit, maybe a slice of melon or some berries. Stick it on her plate, don't comment or encourage and just clear it away if she doesn't eat. Sounds like she is getting enough nutrition from milk. Then do the same with dinner, some potatoes, meat or fish and some vegetables and see how it goes. Look at her whole intake over a week not each meal.

RockingMyFiftiesNot Wed 17-Jul-19 20:22:07

Does she have vitamin drops? If not, maybe a good idea? Let her graze on whatever she fancies from your plates, and top her up with whatever snacks etc you know she will eat.

stucknoue Wed 17-Jul-19 20:59:34

Just take pouches and bananas, no need to worry so young about being adventurous

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »