Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about TUMMELBERRIES please!

(10 Posts)
snowleopard Sun 29-Jul-07 20:14:06

Went PYO today, bloody brilliant, DS loved it and we have piles of raspberries, blackcurrants and gooseberries which I know what to do with. But DP took it into his head to pick about a kilo of tummelberries. They taste yuk - kind of bitter and tangy - so I'm thinking jam, but does anyone about them and have any jam tips?

(have done google search - apparently they are a crazy blackberry/raspberry hybrid invented by a bonkers scottish research institute - but the wyndhamesque boffins involved didn't think to post any jam recipes)

snowleopard Sun 29-Jul-07 20:14:40

know about them

<sigh>
<knackered>

FrannyandZooey Sun 29-Jul-07 20:14:40

Oh I am

I like odd tangy berries

FrannyandZooey Sun 29-Jul-07 20:15:23

can't you just eat them mixed in with some sweeter fruit and a load of cream?

snowleopard Sun 29-Jul-07 20:17:48

Might try that, but I don't trust them tbh. They're really not nice. You know how gooseberries and cranberries really have to have stuff done to them to be nice - they have that air about them.

I'm sure you could track some down F&Z! Any pyos near you?

WigWamBam Sun 29-Jul-07 20:19:47

Ohh, they're usually lovely - a raspberry/blackberry cross, like a loganberry.

They would stew with sugar if you wanted to sweeten them up - they would probably mush up a little bit though. Might be worth a try anyway. Perhaps stew them with apple for even more sweetness.

snowleopard Sun 29-Jul-07 20:20:50

Hmmm do you think we might have got dud ones WWB?

<nips off to try larger sample>

WigWamBam Sun 29-Jul-07 20:23:32

I like my berries a little sharp, so I'm perhaps not the best person to ask! They shouldn't taste bitter though.

FrannyandZooey Sun 29-Jul-07 20:24:10

Yes we POO (Picked Our Own) yesterday but despite 6 varieties of raspberries, 3 of strawberries, broad beans, red and black currants, there were no tummelberries. Have never heard of them before so am intrigued.

snowleopard Sun 29-Jul-07 20:40:12

Right have nibbled a few more and some of them were sweeter and nicer, but some have a kind of weird shake-n-vac taste - a bit like that physalis (sp?) orangey ball-shaped fruit you get on posh puddings. (or are you not meant to eat that? ) I think lots of sugar is the way ahead - will try stewed with apples.

F&Z they look a bit like loganberries, ie like extra-long, extra-dark raspberries, but without the hollow inside. No need to be though, they're not all that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now