Talk

Advanced search

A glut of courgettes and rainbow chard??

(15 Posts)
Swifey40 Mon 01-Jul-19 08:05:49

What to make with them? I have a large freezer too. We are on our way to being self sufficient in a new house and planted too much! 😬😄

OP’s posts: |
Georgiemcgeorgeface Mon 01-Jul-19 08:11:54

BBC good food recipe for courgette and Parmesan soup is sublime, and it freezes well

PenelopeFlintstone Mon 01-Jul-19 08:18:57

Look up 'zucchini slice'. I'd never had it till I went to Australia; I don't know if people eat it everywhere else too but it's very nice.

ExpletiveDelighted Mon 01-Jul-19 08:19:47

You can sweat chard down and freeze it in blocks like spinach. Separate the stalks, they need longer cooking than the leaves. It also goes well in stir fries and cheesy dishes such as gratins.

Watch out, it self-seeds everywhere. Also don't let the plants get too big, the roots get very strong and very deep.

PenelopeFlintstone Mon 01-Jul-19 08:20:47

And I've also read of zapple pie and zapple crumble, zucchini/courgettes made to taste like apple!

bellinisurge Mon 01-Jul-19 08:22:02

Dehydrated them to add as and when to soups/casseroles/pasta sauces in the winter.

HigaDequasLuoff Mon 01-Jul-19 08:26:41

Courgette, mint and feta fritters. Gorgeous.

gowgow Mon 01-Jul-19 11:02:10

You can swap courgette for aubergine in moussaka etc

Swifey40 Mon 01-Jul-19 11:48:56

Thanks for all these fabulous recipes, including the Australian zucchini slice, one of ds's godfathers is Australian, so I will make that for him!!
I had forgotten about using chard instead of spinach and freezing, I can do a load of that this evening!

xiona75 Mon 01-Jul-19 11:50:39

Courgette bread, courgettes with scrambled eggs, courgette spaghetti

FawnDrench Mon 01-Jul-19 19:11:53

Some lovely recipes, both sweet and savoury HERE

MoMandaS Mon 01-Jul-19 19:16:17

This Ottolenghi chard stew is delicious and freezes well.

dreamingofsun Mon 01-Jul-19 19:23:26

chocolate courgette cake...pretty sure you will find lots of recipes if you google

Swifey40 Tue 02-Jul-19 09:09:54

Chocolate courgette cake, that sounds good, will definitely have a look at that. I love ottolenghi as well so will definitely have a look at that too, as well as at the other suggestions! Thanks everyone, it's been really great!

HellInAHandCartThatsWhat Tue 02-Jul-19 13:38:21

I put chard in everything where spinach would go. Omelettes, curry etc. Hugh FW does a great spinach and chickpea curry that would freeze well.

Chard stems in a cheese sauce gratin or stock with a tiny bit of cream with breadcrumbs and cheese topping are very nice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »