Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If you use muslin for cooking...

(7 Posts)
Walnutshell Thu 26-Jul-07 11:36:04

If you use muslin for cooking, can you re-use it and how do you sterilise it?
Thanks.

NineUnlikelyTales Thu 26-Jul-07 11:40:26

I re-use muslins. If they are used for making things for storage, eg jams, I think you should wash them as normal in the machine and then boil them in a pan to sterilise. If it's for something that won't be kept I just wash them in the machine and don't use much powder, or the food tastes of Persil Non Bio

Walnutshell Thu 26-Jul-07 12:12:38

Thanks, Nine. I didn't realise until today that you can get muslin for cooking so have tasked my sister with hemming a couple of squares of 'ordinary' (?) muslin for me. Does it matter?

NineUnlikelyTales Thu 26-Jul-07 18:41:45

No, it might not be as fine as the stuff you can buy specially but it does the same job. I don't even bother hemming the muslin, in fact the cooking muslin I bought specially wasn't hemmed.

What are you cooking? <<curious>>

Walnutshell Thu 26-Jul-07 18:55:54

Cheers Nine. Will be making paneer which we usually buy but I do prefer the texture when homemade and as it was demonstrated on the Anjum Anand Indian cookery programme on BBC2, I thought I'd have another go. It's delicious!

NineUnlikelyTales Thu 26-Jul-07 19:02:26

I made some last week, courtesy if Madhur Jaffrey! I agree, it is delicious. Just don't let yours taste faintly of Persil, like mine did And wash the muslin the minute the cheese is out, or it goes disgusting and is a nightmare to wash (thanks again, Madhur)

Walnutshell Thu 26-Jul-07 19:31:43

Ah, that is a very good point. Although saag persil paneer, it has a certain ring to it... I will take your tip and wash straight away too - actually, that's a lie as dh will be doing it all, but I can supervise with a glass of wine! Oh how I love curry night!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now