Talk

Advanced search

Chutney novice needing advice please

(8 Posts)
WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Fri 21-Jun-19 20:53:18

I had some pears and a couple of apples that needed using up so decided to make a chutney on he spur of the moment.
I kind of followed this recipe but didn’t have any perry so just added extra vinegar.
I’m hoping that’s ok.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spiced-pear-chutney

I know that chutney should be matured so can anyone tell me how long I should leave it before it is opened? I was thinking of giving it as gifts and don’t want to feed it to anyone before or after it’s best. confused

OP’s posts: |
WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Fri 21-Jun-19 20:53:35

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spiced-pear-chutney

MustardScreams Fri 21-Jun-19 20:55:37

I would say this one wouldn’t need too long to mature, there’s not a very high vinegar content, so it should be lovely in 3-4 weeks. It will still keep really well in the fridge after then.

Alabasterangel6 Fri 21-Jun-19 20:57:56

Did you sterilise your jars and seal them well? If so it’ll keep a while.

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Fri 21-Jun-19 20:59:24

Fabulous. Thank you so much.
I’m hoping that my gung-ho attitude to following recipes won’t have made too much difference.

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Fri 21-Jun-19 21:00:38

Alabasterangel6
I think I did it right. One is a Kilner jar and the other a normal jam jar. I boiled both and then filled them hot.

Alabasterangel6 Fri 21-Jun-19 22:51:39

Brill. If in doubt keep them in the fridge to mature. I’ve never noticed the difference in terms of flavour just no mould!

Pipandmum Fri 21-Jun-19 22:55:44

Three months to mature and they can last for a year. Some chutneys can be eaten sooner.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »