Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for healthy microwavable dinners for kids

(4 Posts)
purplerain44 Mon 17-Jun-19 14:23:29

From September, the 17YO who picks my 2 kids ups from school (7 and 10) will be staying an extra hour, so will need to feed them. I've said I'd prepare everything and all she needs to do is microwave...I'm just looking for some ideas for dinners that microwave well and are quick and easy for me to make the evening before (i'll be out all day).
Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
Ricekrispie22 Mon 17-Jun-19 17:39:09

I’m sure the 17yo will be able to prepare some rice. If not, then leave a packet of microwave rice to split between the 2 dc.
Chilli www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3444/saras-chilli-con-carne
Curry www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1306/easy-peasy-lentil-curry

I’m pretty sure they’d manage a packet of couscous - you can buy packets of flavoured couscous which serve 2 and just need to be soaked in the required quantity of boiled water for about 10 minutes. I’d serve couscous with this tagine that reheats well. www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/butternut-squash-chickpea-tagine

Fajitas www.abelandcole.co.uk/box-recipes/mexican-pork-fajitas
Lasagne www.myfussyeater.com/30-minute-lasagne/
Pasta bake www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1813634/tuna-and-broccoli-pasta-bake

I know people do reheat rice, but I don’t feel comfortable about it for some reason, so if I have a few risotto recipes with orzo pasta or barley.
Nigella’s orzo risotto is the quickest and easiest. www.nationalpost.com/m/risotto+simple+this+quick+easy+orzo+recipe+from+nigella+lawson/9526402/story.html

bratzilla Tue 18-Jun-19 02:35:42

Dishes that go with rice, jacket potatoes, soups and stews, salmon and couscous. A slow cooker would be good too.

Blondie1984 Tue 18-Jun-19 03:09:52

Microwave risotto/biriyani

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »